Suggestions for a virgin : )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grub32

I am trying to do something like what is in this picture!! I guess I am delusional about this for a first timer. I have to also tell you that this picture was also from the first time that I ever turned an acrylic and I loved it.

I want to try to make a purple blank like this one with luster and white lines. I was going to mix up the purple and also some white and then pour the purple into the mold and then stir it up gently....Do you experts out there think it could work???

I have to send a shout out to you guys for some posts a while ago in the penturning forum to get me this far. I am really enjoying the acrylics!!

Grub32

2008214221611_AC-Pitts-Cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

what you might be able to do is try the ribbon method, here's a link to an article about it. you'd just modify the ribbons to mimic the pattern you see in the pen pictured. as far as purple, you can find pearlex powders in purple that will give you the pearl luster effect. you should be able to find those at a hobby lobby or michaels.

forgot to add the link:
http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/ribbonprocess.pdf

Daddy1

WOOOOOOOW! This tutorial was amazing. Now my question is will you all support me when I quit my job to try these new and amazing tricks?

If each of you can donate $1k I should be good.

Another process to add to my list!!!!!!!;)

Daddy1

So far I cast the ribbons. I gotta tell ya the tip about waiting until the ribbons are no longer sticky was a good tip. I will actually pay attention to that next time.[B)] I had a tough time getting it to stay in the mold because it kept sticking to my fingers. Besides that I had a lot of fun making them. I got the ribbons set up in the molds and am very excited to complete.
I can think of a lot of ways to use thin layers to make a pen.
I can't wait to see how they come out.

Try using some chapstick on your fingers. Not too much. According to the Pros I have talked to (the big surfboard supply co that is nearby), and the techs at US Composites, on the thick casting resin, Silmar 41, the sticky outer layer is so that the next layer will bond easier.

grub32

Kevin, please post some pics if you could when they are cast...I really would like to see how they turned out...I am still waiting for my molds to come in from misterart.com .... as soon as they arrive I will begin playing!! I CANT WAIT!!

Thanks for all the insight!!

Grub32

Daddy1

Opps,

The ribbons came out great. My mistake was the mold I used was too large so the ribbon was space out to much and there is very little ribbon in each blank. I will try another batch later this week. When you make a mistake with Alumilite is hurts twice as much!!!

Another learning experience:(

Top Bottom