Suede Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I've been experimenting with leather and resin and made a suede pen. I like the feel of the pen, however, it is difficult to get a good fit when turning.

I have a second blank that I might try on a rollerball Kit.

Attachments

• 95B21060-FBDF-4B43-90A4-03CC1BE235CE.jpeg
    95B21060-FBDF-4B43-90A4-03CC1BE235CE.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 278
  • 626DFD81-D0B3-435F-BF14-B7698B96F53A.jpeg
    626DFD81-D0B3-435F-BF14-B7698B96F53A.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
#1 looks very fuzzy :eek: . If so, that's creepy to me. Just not sure about a furry pen?

Great project though!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I like the look of it. And it does look "warm & fuzzy". How can that be? The suede was cast in resin. I would think that once turned the suede would be hard, like a piece of stabilized wood, even if you turned all of the resin off. But there are definitely fuzzies under the clip and at the nib end.

Cwalker935

I like the look of it. And it does look "warm & fuzzy". How can that be? The suede was cast in resin. I would think that once turned the suede would be hard, like a piece of stabilized wood, even if you turned all of the resin off. But there are definitely fuzzies under the clip and at the nib end.

The blank was not cast under pressure so the resin did not penetrate into the suede and acts to bind the layers together. Since the suede is not saturated you are left with the feel and texture of the leather.

Cwalker935

I wonder if you soak it with thin CA if the colours would change much, I believe the CA would give the leather surface a firm texture.

Quite pretty, in fact.

Cheers
George

I think CA would darken the lighter leather significantly. It would also eliminate the feel and texture of what I was shooting for. It was also be very challenging to get a smooth glossy surface and would probably end up looking like a wooden pen.

robutacion

I think CA would darken the lighter leather significantly. It would also eliminate the feel and texture of what I was shooting for. It was also be very challenging to get a smooth glossy surface and would probably end up looking like a wooden pen.
The CA application I was talking about was more to stabilise the soft fibres of the leather the CA would soak into the leather only, I wasn't suggesting putting a CA finish on the pen, not at all, the light colour leather may darken a bit but maybe not enough to spoil the appearance and you should endup with the soft lather fuzzy surface but sanded to finer particles at least at the ends. My thoughts only, you can try the thin CA on a little leftover bit of the lighter leather and sand it with 240 and then 120 and see how it looks/finishes.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom