Stunning Macassar Ebony kiln dried low price

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirlzbiz

Banned
Good evening:

I have 9 pieces of stunning Macassar Ebony, 3 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 25 3/4" All have stunning figure and are kiln dried and ready for turning. Each piece could yield about 30 pen blanks or you may use them for knife handles or pen boxes or any other project. May contain some minor end checking but not in anyway that will affect what you can yield from wood, this is just inherited with this species due to its density. $25 only per piece, Shipping is $15 Ground with a tracking number which I will provide to you. I ship right away. Each piece is approximately 5 lbs. If you would like more than one piece, please add just $7 extra for additional shipping costs.

Thank you

Attachments

• F149ECE9-E70C-4BF1-AA2F-031417F42542.jpg
    F149ECE9-E70C-4BF1-AA2F-031417F42542.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 287
  • D15F9BED-034D-4352-9A7F-42E0043159AA.jpg
    D15F9BED-034D-4352-9A7F-42E0043159AA.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 511EFC88-2A18-426B-8F7E-A3EE0E5CEB80.jpg
    511EFC88-2A18-426B-8F7E-A3EE0E5CEB80.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shirlzbiz

Banned
Thank you, everything sold pending payments, however if anyone else is still interested please kindly message me. Thank you

TurnKC

For those that ordered this wood, did you ever receive it? I did not receive my order from Shirley and I have not gotten a response back from her. Just curious what my next step should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terredax

Banned
It seems a bit suspicious...
this individual claims to have nine pieces, and shows two. Then posts that if anyone else wants some, to PM them.

The suspicious part is...
this individual has 41 posts, lives in CA., has Ebony for sale, one piece appears to have sap wood, and doesn't respond.
Sounds very similar to another individual that had low posts, lives in CA., was selling Ebony, many people complained about it having a lot of sap wood, didn't respond, and is now banned after giving several people the shaft.

This individual was here twice, pulling the same scam. Maybe a third time?

Caution should be practiced when sending money to someone.:wink:

This person was logged on 03/04/19.

Last edited:

Cuetips

To me, the suspicious part is that Maccasar ebony retails at approx $75 a board foot, theses pieces are each 1.17 board feet and should sell in the $85 - $90 range. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Red flag should have come up immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

MRDucks2

I guess a couple of things to note on the two pieces I received.

- first, I received a PM indicating one piece had a little sapwood so my second piece was going to be 10 inches longer for free.

- the little sapwood was nearly 1/3 of the width but it happens to be nicely spalted. This piece was pretty solid.

-the second piece was 10 inches longer and all black, but had a couple of pretty good cracks in it.

- I too was suspicious of the price, but paying through PayPal had nothing to lose.

- this was not A grade wood. In the end, I still feel like I got decent value for what I paid.

- downside for seller: postage was $53 to ship. I paid $65 total with shipping. I have inadvertently lost money on shipping myself in the past but that is a pretty big hit.

Wife asked if I was happy with the purchase. I said yes, but I would not buy from again.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

hokie

To those that made a purchase in this thread, did the paypal name/email include "louie" or "laurence"? That's the guy that scammed us with similar style ebony last time (and the time before that under a different user name).

There are *incredibly* similar markers shared between the last scam and this post:

Last scam: "This will yield about 12 beautiful pen blanks or for any other project you desire"
This post: "Each piece could yield about 30 pen blanks or you may use them for knife handles or pen boxes or any other project"

Last scam: "Shipping is only $6 each with a tracking number provided to you and will ship promptly via USPS Priority Mail within 24 hours of receiving PayPal payment"
This post: "Shipping is $15 Ground with a tracking number which I will provide to you. I ship right away."

Last scam: "If multiple pieces purchased $2 per additional piece only."
This post: "If you would like more than one piece, please add just $7 extra for additional shipping costs."

Of course the words aren't verbatim between the two, but they share a very similar structure for a similar product in what appear to be too good to be true prices and ultimately shady results.

TurnKC

Well I guess I'll chalk this up to a lost cause! I'm new here and was not aware of past scams. I also did not know how expensive the wood was retail so couldn't correlate the two. I've done about 10 other purchases on here and they were all flawless and very professional transactions. I will not let this one tarnish the reputation of this forum (for me) but will try to do a bit more research in the future to learn!

hokie

Well I guess I'll chalk this up to a lost cause! I'm new here and was not aware of past scams. I also did not know how expensive the wood was retail so couldn't correlate the two. I've done about 10 other purchases on here and they were all flawless and very professional transactions. I will not let this one tarnish the reputation of this forum (for me) but will try to do a bit more research in the future to learn!

Definitely file a complaint with PayPal if you don't receive anything within a reasonable time frame. My only attempt at making a purchase through this site happened to be the last time the scam arose, so I know the feeling. I got lucky by getting a refund when I wouldn't stop bugging the guy, but other people got seriously inferior goods instead of what was pictured.

It's all the same MO... A person from California (Sacramento specifically when that detail is given) who posts selling figured ebony for a low price, make good on one or two orders, deliver vastly inferior products to others, and outright ignore the rest of the purchasers. I know to keep an eye out for the signs now. The weird thing about this OP is that it appears as though they had successful sales in the past for other species. It wasn't until this ebony one where people started asking questions.

wood128

Definitely file a complaint with PayPal if you don't receive anything within a reasonable time frame. My only attempt at making a purchase through this site happened to be the last time the scam arose, so I know the feeling. I got lucky by getting a refund when I wouldn't stop bugging the guy, but other people got seriously inferior goods instead of what was pictured.

It's all the same MO... A person from California (Sacramento specifically when that detail is given) who posts selling figured ebony for a low price, make good on one or two orders, deliver vastly inferior products to others, and outright ignore the rest of the purchasers. I know to keep an eye out for the signs now. The weird thing about this OP is that it appears as though they had successful sales in the past for other species. It wasn't until this ebony one where people started asking questions.

Hokie ,I agree that she has sold some quality wood blanks in the past here on IAP and delivered with no complaints. Something has happened that we don't know about !!

MRDucks2

Looks like historically there were only issues on the last 2 sales, though they were a year apart.

Like I stated, I felt there was risk in the quality of the product based on the price but accepted that for the cost. Whole gift horse in the mouth thing. Plus, if I didn't end up with at least $40 worth of wood I would have filed a claim if some sort with PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

pjkoths

I just today received 3 of the four pieces I ordered from her. All were decent with little sapwood, however overall they are good for the price.

I have PM'd her along with an email giving her 24 hours to respond or I will file a dispute with PayPal.

This is the second time I have had to contact her about my order and she is very slow to respond . . . even though I have seen her actively online numerous times after I sent her a PM and email.

:mad:

DavidD

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I did want to weigh in, seeing as several of the posts jumping to conclusions were made by members who did not actually purchase anything...

I received my four pieces very promptly and they are GREAT, considering what I paid. I've long used Macassar as a tone wood for guitar-building and am quite familiar with the species. I agree that these are not top shelf, but they're better than expected for the price. I feel I received more than I paid for and am grateful to the seller.

David

TurnKC

Well I bought my two pieces on Feb 22 and the reached out in Mar 2. The next day I got an email back saying she would look into it but I have not heard anything, even with multiple emails asking for update. I guess I'm just frustrated now that others received their wood and mine is MIA. Guess I'll just keep holding out that they stopped for an extended layover in France or something! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom