Stuck nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have a Caballero fountain pen that has the metal nib end stuck in the nib coupler of the body, it simply will not unscrew. I have tried plastic jaw pliers, the waffle grip shelf liner and rubber bands with no results. Short of ruining the finish or crimping the metal housing, does anyone have any suggestions I might try to get it to unscrew?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a Caballero fountain pen that has the metal nib end stuck in the nib coupler of the body, it simply will not unscrew. I have tried plastic jaw pliers, the waffle grip shelf liner and rubber bands with no results. Short of ruining the finish or crimping the metal housing, does anyone have any suggestions I might try to get it to unscrew?
Best to do is try the old freezer trick and if that does not work try some heat but not overly hot to turn the plating colors. Can it be some ink got in there and causing the seizure. May have to try warm water.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Am I understanding correctly: The cap is off, you just want to take off the nib to change the refill?
Is the pen wood or "plastic"?

Let me think on that for a short while, will reply more Sunday.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
JT, thanks for reminding about the hot/cold method. I should have thought of it earlier. I placed the pen body in the freezer overnight. I took it out this morning and tried to take it apart. No go. I then , while it was still cold, ran hot water from the tap over it and after a few minutes tried again and was successful at removing the nib end from the coupler.
When I looked at the threads, there was definitely something on them and on a few of the threads about in the middle of the coupler, but not further inside. I would think that if a small amount of thread lock had somehow gotten inside, there would be traces further inside the coupler.
Thanks again for your suggestion JT.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Glad you found a solution. My suggestion would have been to try "a drop" of WD-40, very carefully avoiding the pen body. Possibly even inserting it from the inside (assuming you have the finial off and the refill removed).

I hope freezing the antler will not damage it in any way.

Again, glad you found a solution!!

Top Bottom