Stuck in a Bowl rut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

As I was photographing this bowl, it occurred to me that my last 4 bowls have all had similar shapes and a partial rough edge accent. This happened without any conscious decision on my part. I have been turning bowls for approximately a year and a half and usually do not have a specific shape in mind. I just go where the wood and or whimsey takes me. I do not know why I am now turning the same bowl shape in different woods and sizes. This walnut bowl is 11 inches at its widest and 4 3/4" tall.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

It really looks good. The walnut has beautiful grain. I do not see a problem. Try changing wood and that may get you in a different grove. The Bowl is lovely.

JimB

It's a beautiful bowl. If you are worried about being in a rut then try using a difference size blank and different wood. I have found when I have the same wood in the same size blank I tend to turn similar bowls so I break the routine by changing the wood and blank size and deliberately try something completely different.

Lucky2

Cody, you've got to remember that, practice makes perfect. I think that with more practice, and trying different shapes for the bowls will make you feel better about your work. If you could find a book on shapes and styles, purchase it to keep in your shop as a guide. Then, before you start turning that next block of wood, check out the book on shapes first, so you have different shaped bowls when finished.
Len

lwalper

I really don't know what the piece is going to look like til I quit working on it. I'll come to a point and say, "That's enough," and turn the lathe off. It may be thin enough, tall enough, short enough, or I may say, "How am I ever going to turn that foot off if I don't quit now? There won't be anything left to put in the chuck." :eek:

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Great looking bowl Cody! Even if they appear the same, each one is unique!

Are these green, dried or twice turned?

I guess you would call it dry. I got this wood from my uncle's woodpile before he could split it It sat in my shop for about a year. It had some checking that I filled with CA and sanding dust. That adds to the character in my mind. I generally do not do twice turned.

Cody,
Don't worry about the rut... if you're selling them one at a time, each goes to a new home and it's the only one like it in the home....

I was at a show recently and there was another bowl turner there... almost all of his bowls were the exact same shape... so much so that they could be stacked one inside the other as the sizes diminished and looked like a set....

Like others here, I usually just start turning and let the wood determine the shape of the bowl, but many of mine also come out the same basic shape.

its_virgil

When not making pens I will make bowls for a few weeks, then switch to boxes, the to hollow forms then to... Well, you get the idea. Out of one rut and into another but one of the fun ruts of life.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Old Codger

Cody, I'm with you...I sometimes feel I'm in a 'rut' when turning and often save photos of other woodturners results and use them to inspire me to try something different. Chuck mentioned using a 'clipboard' to help inspire you and I have made a folder on my computer to save great turnings so I can review them and tailor them to my own wood, and thoughts.... Try it and you might find you're 'out' of the rut we all fall into sometimes... Thanks for sharing you thoughts and safe turning to you always!

Top Bottom