Stripping a CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandy H.

I've been learning various CA finish techniques and have encountered the 'crack at the end of the barrel' issue. I understand the cause now (pretty obvious when it happens) and have read about a few different options (Delrin bushings, TBC, etc), but I have not read about many options for stripping the offending CA finish off.

Attached are pictures of the blank. The film thickness is about 0.010" (!!!) so it would be around 0.020" larger on diameter. My old problem was getting too little finish on - now I have obviously beaten that one and need to calm down a bit and get a more reasonable thickness.

Anyway, I'd like to save the blank as this is a hobby for me and not a business, so 'wasted time' isn't a real issue for me. I'm OK, with turning or sanding the finish off, but if there is a better method, I'd like to learn that as well.

Thanks for any info.

Sandy.

Attachments

• chip 1.JPG
    chip 1.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 158
  • chip 2.JPG
    chip 2.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 153
  • chip 3.JPG
    chip 3.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 174
  • chip 4.JPG
    chip 4.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 145
  • both.JPG
    both.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandy H.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know if there was a magic solution, but sometimes simple and straightforward is the way to go. I'll get to cutting/sanding it off (depending on my mood at the time).

The band is around 0.040" thick Aluminum. I have a huge scrap sheet of it and figured I'd try it. Looks OK to me. I tried using a drink can on my first metal segmenting trial and it was way too thin for what I was trying. I'm going to try and find some 0.014-0.018" thick aluminum soon to see if that's a good sweet spot. That is the kerf thickness on the bandsaw, so it might make some of the segmenting tasks easier.

Thanks for the help!

Sandy.

Top Bottom