Stretcher Bond Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timberbits

timberbits

Been having lots of fun making these brick pattern pen blanks.

My original 2 blanks were made with 8mm slices. Wasn't quite happy with them so I have made this one with 6mm slices.

Even at 6mm slices, I think it still doesn't look like brickwork.

My next ones will probably be done with 4mm slices.

Timber is Rock Maple and Walnut veneer.

Comments and suggestions is always appreciated.

Regards

Timberbits.

Attachments

• Stretcher Bond Lucida.jpg
    Stretcher Bond Lucida.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

David, you did it right. But I agree, 4mm might look even better. On a larger bodied pen like am Emporer, Gent or Statesman the 6mm is probably just right.

plantman

David; I also think 4mm would be more to scale. What if you used a light red tint or dye before your finish coats to give it a little more brick effect. Also a longer barrel or two barrel pen with smaller fittings might help scale. Good spaceing on the bricks. Jim S

PenMan1

I like the pen JUST AS IT IS. Sometimes smaller segments just makes an otherwise beautifully executed pen appear "busy". You've got a lot of "action" going on with Elegent Beauty's trim ring. If you DID decide to shrink the segments by 33 PERCENT, it might be worth investigating less ornate trim.

IMHO, many times , less is more.

When my bricks look this nice and straight, I never consider "tinkering". Personally, I think you've hit a winner with this one. BUT, I must admit, I wouldn't mind seeing the exact same pens side by side, one with 6mm segs and one with 4mm segs.

Respectfully submitted.

PenMan1

But then, I've always believed in the "inverse, disporportional spatial relationship" in art.

In other words, SMALLER SEGMENTS ON LARGER PLANES (bigger pens), bigger segments on smaller planes.

You know, the old "one man's junk, another man's treasure" argument. I think beauty should whisper to you, not shout.

Just another perspective....And again, this is a pen I would be proud to own. Mainly because the workmanship of the art appears flawless.

Top Bottom