Straight from the Ocean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hornet406

hornet406

LAst week on a trip to Pismo Beach, we picked up some items for casting into an awesome (if I say so myself) bottle stopper. Here we have some fresh barnacles, sand, sand dollar and small shells. The star fish was purchased. I think it turned out great.

Attachments

• stopper 2.jpg
    stopper 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 444
  • stopper1.jpg
    stopper1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 337
  • stopper3.jpg
    stopper3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

You think it turned out great...??? are you out of your mind...?? that is a beautiful composed and cast piece, what resin did you use..???

Congrats mate, that sort of work, I like...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

csr67

Very nice! Pismo is my old stomping grounds. I grew up on the Central Coast and still love that area.

hornet406

Totally awesome WOW I really like that. Visiting FL in a week and what a great way to savor the memories. What resin did you use to get such a clear view? Thanks William

I used Silmar 41 to cast using 60 pounds pressure to minimize air bubbles.

hornet406

That's very cool. How did you put it all together before casting?

I first poured the colored base and let set. Glue everything to it using CA. I did however find that using white Elmers glue is better at making the sand look more realistic. DO NOT USE ACCELERATOR! it will cause a chemical reaction with the resin making it hazy. Then pour the acrylic, pressure, and buff...

hornet406

One more question what did you use for a mold?

I used a regular large pharmacy pill bottle. As the Silmar 41 contracts as it cures, the object just pops right out. As stated before, I did the base first, popped it out and set everything into place. (making sure to keep checking for side clearance.) Then drop it back into the container for final pour.

Top Bottom