Storing your beall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Just received my beall in the mail today and was wondering how everyone stores theirs. I know some of you have dedicated buffing lathes, but I don't. So for those of you that have to take yours on and off of the lathe how do you store them? I am sure you don't just throw them in the corner. Hang them from something? Pictures would be great. Oh, and it is the 3 wheel beall.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

I have a tree wheel system that I just hang. I made a wood bracket that I attached to a wall stud. It collets a bunch of sawdust but that doesn't seem to hurt anything.

IPD_Mrs

Dustin we were wondering the same thing. We do too much mill work in the shop to allow it out even on our spare lathe. All that saw dust would scratch a blank to heck and back. I was thinking about a heavy mil plastic bag and then hanging it so that the buff pads dont get lopsided. Another option I have thought about is a large diameter pvc pipe with caps on both ends so that it would be suspended in the pipe.

Mike & Linda

Dario

I store each wheel on a separate 1 gallon ziplock bag with the corresponding wax/polish and put them in a box. Easy access and no contamination.

cowchaser

Hmm, I think I have an old suit bag around here. You know the ones that zip up like a suit luggage. Wonder if I could make that work. I'll bet some others have some more ideas also.

Dario, is yours a 3 wheel that you take apart everytime or the single wheel model?

Dario

I have the individually chucked one.

No matter what system you have, separate each of the wax/polish and I think ziploc (or similar) is the best for it.

jcollazo

I use a Plano storage box for my Beall, collets and accessories. Maybe this week I'll get around to building a rack for these boxes.
http://tinyurl.com/37q7sm

Firefyter-emt

Joe.. You mean like this??

Old photo, but I still have the rack in use more than a year later. Simple and works well, I like the extra space between them as it makes it easy to grab. All I did was took a chunk of 2x4, cut the slots with a dado blade and the sliced it in half. The top and bottom are just glue & screws. I have two "L" hooks in the back to hook it into the peg board, but later added a ring eyelet on the bottom to secure it to the peg-board. If you can access the peg board, you could screw it on. I like hinged peg boards becasue I can screw mounts to the board to make them stable and not damage the peg board.
129071.jpg

rherrell

I store mine like this.

2007123012230_iap540b.jpg
<br />

2007123012248_iap540a.jpg
<br />
I plan on making a clear plexi hinged door someday.
Here's how I keep my other Beall stuff at the end of my lathe.

2007123012524_iap540.jpg
<br />

I thought I had some adult onset of OCD but I've got NOTHING on Lee or Rick! [:D]

Dustin,
I use the grinder version. I have a wire shelf above the grinder that I keep them on.

Firefyter-emt

Hey Rick, nice tray! I have one much like that sitting on my Delta lathe. What I am really liking is the treatment on your outfeed table for your table saw. Is that laminate- - oak edged or one of those particle board's with the laminate pre-installed? I like the oak trim, I did much the same with some oiled hardboard for my metal lathe top.

I still have to finish the base with a face frame, drawer, and a pair of doors and paint it.
lathe-72.jpg

rherrell

Lee, You 'da man when it comes to reconditioning tools! Nice set up. That's a full 4X8 sheet of 3/4" ply with Formica glued down with contact cement. I put 2" trim around it and cut that 45 on the corner to give me a little more room getting around my lathe.
I tell you what, a full 4x8 table REALLY comes in handy, especially since I'm always working by myself.

Dustin,
I hang everything I can overhead.. I don't have a true Bealle system, mine is home made from an allthread bar and 3 wheels from Lowe's, but I have a couple of hooks screwed in the the joist overhead with two little bungies looped to take the ends of the rod.. stays close by, just overhead, doesn't collect too much dust.

cowchaser

Thanks for the replies. There are some great ideas here. I did get to use it tonight making bottle stoppers (talk about a learning curve).

Do the strings and fuzzy's ever stop flying. I think I coughed up a hairball.

rherrell

Originally posted by cowchaser
<br />Thanks for the replies. There are some great ideas here. I did get to use it tonight making bottle stoppers (talk about a learning curve).

Do the strings and fuzzy's ever stop flying. I think I coughed up a hairball.

Eventually!

Rudy Vey

I store my three wheels each in a 1-gal plastic zip lock bag, in the bag is also the corresponding compound or the carnuba wax. The bags hang on hooks on one them peg boards in my shop - right behind the lathe. I mostly use the white wheel only....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom