Stop Loss Bags

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Does anyone here use these "Stop Loss Bags"? I'm tired of throwing away cans of finish that still have product in them but either can't get it out of the can or it's so thick it would take a week to drain out. Do these bags work? Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Does anyone here use these "Stop Loss Bags"? I'm tired of throwing away cans of finish that still have product in them but either can't get it out of the can or it's so thick it would take a week to drain out. Do these bags work? Thanks for any help.

I got some for Christmas, haven't used them yet, but they seem like they will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

rwakeland

I have used those bags to bring alcohol on cruise ships

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have used those bags to bring alcohol on cruise ships

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Never thought of that although I can no longer drink alcohol, or at least not a bunch like I used to. Like I tell my granddaughters "I got the Diabetes". I used to carry most of my booze in my stomach as I staggered back to the ship. Oh to be young and stupid again.

mmayo

I have used the stop loss bags for years. Without them, spar varnish turns to a solid mess in months. They are clearly the way for me to preserve finishes like spar varnish which I use on tackle boxes. If you get to air out and keep some liquid finish up near the opening the finish will be perfect when you want it. I've kept System three spar varnish diluted 4:1 with mineral spirits in an bag for eight months and it was like I just mixed it. Beware that after time you will need a new collapsible funnel every five years. The junction between the bag and the bottom of the funnel gets loose. I'm buying a whole new set of bags and the funnel this Saturday.

I completely recommend this product.

kronewi

I have used the stop loss bags for years. Without them, spar varnish turns to a solid mess in months. They are clearly the way for me to preserve finishes like spar varnish which I use on tackle boxes. If you get to air out and keep some liquid finish up near the opening the finish will be perfect when you want it. I've kept System three spar varnish diluted 4:1 with mineral spirits in an bag for eight months and it was like I just mixed it. Beware that after time you will need a new collapsible funnel every five years. The junction between the bag and the bottom of the funnel gets loose. I'm buying a whole new set of bags and the funnel this Saturday.

Thanks for the info.

Mark - I use a gel wipe on polyurethane-based finish which I really like for other turning projects. It, too, turns pretty quick if I let it sit for a while. I'm thinking this might be a good way to lengthen life but am also thinking it might be an issue getting the gel into the bag. Thoughts?

JimB

I use them and so do many of my local club members. They are excellent and keep finish fresh for many, many months... I've never had any finish go bad when using them and I've never heard of any of the other club members having finish go bad when using them.

I just use a cheap dollar store funnel to our the finish from the can into the bag, squeeze out the air and put the top on it. Don't forget to mark the bag with type of finish. They all start to look the same in a clear bag.

I've used them and like them. Best thing I've tried for keep finish from jelling.
I use them and so do many of my local club members. They are excellent and keep finish fresh for many, many months... I've never had any finish go bad when using them and I've never heard of any of the other club members having finish go bad when using them.

I just use a cheap dollar store funnel to our the finish from the can into the bag, squeeze out the air and put the top on it. Don't forget to mark the bag with type of finish. They all start to look the same in a clear bag.
Oh, and Woodcraft has them on sale this month.

Thanks for the endorsements from everyone. I just ordered them through Amazon (via Woodcraft) and saved $5.00 on shipping. Thanks again for everyone's help.

mmayo

Mark - I use a gel wipe on polyurethane-based finish which I really like for other turning projects. It, too, turns pretty quick if I let it sit for a while. I'm thinking this might be a good way to lengthen life but am also thinking it might be an issue getting the gel into the bag. Thoughts?
The new condition rubber, collapsible funnel is meant to be used in a metal stand. I have it and it is a love hate relationship. The stand holds the funnel correctly but the stand is not tall enough. If you have a newish funnel, a stop loss bag, the stand AND you make it taller AND secure it should work great. Pour some in, ease it through the hole with a stick or screwdriver and repeat. The air needs to be squeezed out and your finish will be in suspended animator suspended oxidation and evaporation.

mmayo

Here is a stand I made to facilitate filling without spilling. The height is such that the bottom of the bag is supported.

Attachments

• 1448C335-203B-45DD-BF05-CC0438547441.jpeg
    1448C335-203B-45DD-BF05-CC0438547441.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom