Stone pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Teacher

My son gave me a stone pen blank he picked up. Any hints or suggestions before I put this on the lathe. Realize I am going to need carbide tools to work this and probably should knock the corners off on a disc sander prior to starting. Figuring on drilling on lathe so need to find a way to place a block behind the end to prevent blowout. Just looking for helpful hints since it was a birthday gift.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

What kind of stone? How hard is it? Research mohs scale and test the hardness. If the hardness is below 3-4 you can drill and turn on a standard wood lathe. For mohs 5-6 you might be able to turn with carbide cutters is you are slow and careful. For mohs 7-8 and above you will need a lapidary lathe with a water cooled grinder cutter.

Try masonary bits for drilling. Drill with a small bit and them move up with multiple larger bits to get where you need to be.

Drill and turn with good ventilation, depending on what kind of stone or mineral, you could be breathing some dangerous dust.

Teacher

Thanks for the info guys, did some you-tube viewing and also called the store where my son bought the piece. They say it was Young-stone(sp), similar to Tru-stone, a mixture of ore & resin. So will give it a go after this weekend. Too many irons in the fire and too cold work in shop. Will post a pic when I get it done.

epigolucky

Yun-Stone, it's similar to tru-stone. Go slow when drilling, you don't want to build up too much heat. Some colors may be harder than others. Sharp tools, light passes and you'll be good to go!

Top Bottom