Stolen From Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Thank you Dave for the inspiration. Here's my take on a glue caddy. White "cups" are just a couple pvc connectors.

Attachments

• IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Thank you Dave for the inspiration. Here's my take on a glue caddy. White "cups" are just a couple pvc connectors.
Oooooo. I like the PVC containers! It seems like I am always looking for some kind of round container. I will have to remember that for future applications. My container was a hacked up plastic tube made for storing bottle stoppers. - Dave

sorcerertd

Nice. The only thing I might think about adding is a small, replaceable mixing surface/dish insert. Hmm, are there any surfaces that epoxy can be scraped off of relatively easily, though?

egnald

Nice. The only thing I might think about adding is a small, replaceable mixing surface/dish insert. Hmm, are there any surfaces that epoxy can be scraped off of relatively easily, though?
I've been keeping an eye out for some kind of silicone candy mold that would be kind of a little puck shape, to use as a mixing bowl, but so far I haven't run across anything I like. I have used some little 3-inch square pieces of silicone before and it worked pretty good, but I really prefer something with some dimension to it to help me confine the epoxy and to let me "scrape the sides) to make sure I get everything mixed in good.

I also thought about a storage spot for a few bottles of acrylic craft paint. It's what I use to color the epoxy when I'm working with something translucent.

Dave

KenB259

I've been keeping an eye out for some kind of silicone candy mold that would be kind of a little puck shape, to use as a mixing bowl, but so far I haven't run across anything I like. I have used some little 3-inch square pieces of silicone before and it worked pretty good, but I really prefer something with some dimension to it to help me confine the epoxy and to let me "scrape the sides) to make sure I get everything mixed in good.

I also thought about a storage spot for a few bottles of acrylic craft paint. It's what I use to color the epoxy when I'm working with something translucent.

Dave
I buy tiny little plastic condiment cups at a Gordon's Food Service, they're crazy cheap and I think you get a hundred of them. I don't care for mixing epoxy on a flat surface. I'll stick with my little cups.

egnald

I buy tiny little plastic condiment cups at a Gordon's Food Service, they're crazy cheap and I think you get a hundred of them. I don't care for mixing epoxy on a flat surface. I'll stick with my little cups.
That's what I use too, but I've found that the lids for the cups work as well, and I always seem to have a surplus of the lids. - Dave

KMCloonan

You guys are taking this to a whole new level. Ken even rounded the corners. Nice!

I have been using post-it notes to mix my epoxy on. I think if I build a caddy, I will maybe build in a post-it note dispenser.

Also, any thoughts on some sort of heating element? My epoxy part B has solidified like crystallized honey - I heat it up for a couple minutes to make it liquid before I mix, A & B together.

KenB259

You guys are taking this to a whole new level. Ken even rounded the corners. Nice!

I have been using post-it notes to mix my epoxy on. I think if I build a caddy, I will maybe build in a post-it note dispenser.

Also, any thoughts on some sort of heating element? My epoxy part B has solidified like crystallized honey - I heat it up for a couple minutes to make it liquid before I mix, A & B together.
LOL, I didn't even use exotic plywood!! I just use a hot water bath to return epoxy to normal. It's rare though.

KMCloonan

LOL, I didn't even use exotic plywood!! I just use a hot water bath to return epoxy to normal. It's rare though.
I used to use warm water, but it had a couple of side effects:
  1. The label on the bottle started disintegrating, leaving paper pulp everywhere.
  2. Since I store the epoxy with the tip down (hopefully to keep the epoxy near the tip), when I submerge the bottle in the water, some of it gets into the tip. When I squeeze out some part B resin, some water comes out also, which is no good.
I have been keeping my epoxy out of the basement in the winter months, and I pop it into my stabilizing toaster oven at about 150F for about 2 minutes before I use it to liquify the resin. Just a minor nuisance, but I thought I would ask you guys since you were adding on more and more features to your caddy. 😁

Mike

That thing looks heavy duty Ken! I also like the PVC for the containers. And as Kevin said above, the rounded corners are a nice touch.

Mike

jttheclockman

Like the caddy. I am a flat surface mixer because it is easier to judge the amount I need for mixing. All I do is take a flat piece of wood and apply scotch tape to one side and mix to my delight. When done take some acetone and wipe surface clean for next time. The mixing piece I have has seen quite alot of epoxy and still looking fine.

sorcerertd

I think if I build a caddy, I will maybe build in a post-it note dispenser.
This thought had occurred to me, too. I usually have some coated tagboard (like the backing on a lot of packaging, but plain white) around, so I use that and toss it when I run out of clean spots to use.

You guys piqued my curiosity, so I googled it and found these silicone pinch bowls at Amazon that would fit the bill.

Sorry Ken, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread here. The rounded corners are a nice touch on that caddy.

KenB259

This thought had occurred to me, too. I usually have some coated tagboard (like the backing on a lot of packaging, but plain white) around, so I use that and toss it when I run out of clean spots to use.

You guys piqued my curiosity, so I googled it and found these silicone pinch bowls at Amazon that would fit the bill.

Sorry Ken, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread here. The rounded corners are a nice touch on that caddy.
No apology needed. I love threads like this where other ideas are shared.

Top Bottom