Stitching Pony for Leatherwork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

I know that there are some leather workers here on the IAP and I am sharing a design here for a stitching pony. A stitching pony is used to
securely hold your leathwork project in the wooden jaws and thereby allowing you to free up your hands as you stitch the leather. This particular walnut stitching pony is combined with repurposed parts from a camera tripod. The tripod hardware is very useful since it allows the
pony to be positioned in unlimited tilting positions (forward/backward/lateral). If you have an idea as to how I can improve this design, I would love to hear then as well as sharing with others. Thanks for looking.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I don't believe I currently have one packed away with the leather shop stuff as I wanted a better one and figured if I got rid of it I would be enticed to built something better.

At first I thought your jaws looked huge, the realized that is not 2x4 stock, but smaller. Both of my old designs had curved jaws which allowed for holding some cases and other work that may not be flat on flat.

Looks good to me, I like the ability to position it at different angles.

Looks a bit heavy like Mike @MRDucks2 mentioned but it's hard for me to get a perspective on the actual size. The idea of using a tripod mount is brilliant and a great use for your pony. The only thing I wonder about is how you "attach" it to something to use. A stitching pony normally is held in place by sitting on the bottom wings to hold it. Is this going to be mounted with something like a clamp? Other than just that one observation it looks great, using the swivel is very inventive. I do a fair amount of leather work and don't use a stitching pony because I can never seem to get it "just right". This is an idea I just might have to copy. Thanks for sharing.

wood-of-1kind

Looks a bit heavy like Mike @MRDucks2 mentioned but it's hard for me to get a perspective on the actual size. The idea of using a tripod mount is brilliant and a great use for your pony. The only thing I wonder about is how you "attach" it to something to use. A stitching pony normally is held in place by sitting on the bottom wings to hold it. Is this going to be mounted with something like a clamp? Other than just that one observation it looks great, using the swivel is very inventive. I do a fair amount of leather work and don't use a stitching pony because I can never seem to get it "just right". This is an idea I just might have to copy. Thanks for sharing.

The little pony is made out of solid walnut throughout and purposely has heft (more "horse" than pony) hence it stands on my small workbench without the need for a clamp. If one wishes to use clamp for greater support than that is easily done by clamping on the base. I also have made a full size pony (horse) that is 33" tall and with that model you simply use your feet to provide full support. I will gladly provide a picture if you are interested.

Thanks for your comments and happy leatherworking.

MRDucks2

I have plans either from Al Stohlman or the book "Making Cowboy Horsegear" for a stitching pony, curved jaw type, built into it's own stand with seat and ratcheting tension mechanism for the jaws.

I never minded the kind you stick under your legs, buts always had issues getting enough tension to keep the piece from moving while being able to easily shift the piece when needed. Never ended up with the one mentioned, even though I once traded $400 worth of RC Car and controls to have one built. Darn sailor transferred before getting it done.

Guess I need to put it on my list now that you all have made me remember it.

The little pony is made out of solid walnut throughout and purposely has heft (more "horse" than pony) hence it stands on my small workbench without the need for a clamp. If one wishes to use clamp for greater support than that is easily done by clamping on the base. I also have made a full size pony (horse) that is 33" tall and with that model you simply use your feet to provide full support. I will gladly provide a picture if you are interested.

Thanks for your comments and happy leatherworking.

I would like to see you larger pony. It might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the offer.

wood-of-1kind

A few more ponies (3). The largest is 33" tall. The smallest two(2) are meant to be used on a workbench (with & w/o clamp), the largest
is supported on the floor with both feet placed on the base whilst the leatherworker is in a sitting position. Made mine 33" as this is a comfortable
size for as I am just under 6 feet tall. All three(3) ponies are crafted out of solid walnut and lightly finished with tung oil.
PONIES4LEATHER 002.JPG
PONIES4LEATHER 002.JPG

Attachments

• PONIES4LEATHER 003.JPG
    PONIES4LEATHER 003.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 114
  • PONIES4LEATHER 007.JPG
    PONIES4LEATHER 007.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 132
  • PONIES4LEATHER 006.JPG
    PONIES4LEATHER 006.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 160