Still Trying

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

I am still working on Brass Inserts and thanks to the help from IAP members things are improving.
Using a slower drying Epoxy Adhesive grinding a negative rake on the drill big improvement and using a smaller drill first.
I am most grateful. This Slimline made today gave me no problems whatsoever glued up yesterday. Some of the joins could be better.
I now feel confident to try more complex designs.
Please please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• 20211215_125526~2.jpg
    20211215_125526~2.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 20211215_125517~2.jpg
    20211215_125517~2.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211215_125510~2.jpg
    20211215_125510~2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 167

leehljp

Member Liaison
What kind of saw are you using? It looks like you are using a bandsaw, as I can see what seems to be teeth marks. Finer teeth, faster speed, more robust or better holding jig - may help. If teeth marks are visible, some fine tuning may need to be done.

Are you sawing all the way through? On Celtic Knots, great improvements across the board from all who tried - came about when they used larger blanks and then began to NOT cut all the way through, leaving about 2mm not cut through. Then adding the segment that was the same thickness as the kerf. The part that was not "cut through" kept everything in alignment.

Progress is a combination of many small steps. To me, it is often like juggling, which I have never been able to do. You are getting there!

Kcimdrib

What kind of saw are you using? It looks like you are using a bandsaw, as I can see what seems to be teeth marks. Finer teeth, faster speed, more robust or better holding jig - may help. If teeth marks are visible, some fine tuning may need to be done.

Are you sawing all the way through? On Celtic Knots, great improvements across the board from all who tried - came about when they used larger blanks and then began to NOT cut all the way through, leaving about 2mm not cut through. Then adding the segment that was the same thickness as the kerf. The part that was not "cut through" kept everything in alignment.

Progress is a combination of many small steps. To me, it is often like juggling, which I have never been able to do. You are getting there!
Hank thank you for your reply. Yes I only have a Bandsaw fixed speed and only cut part way on Celtic knots but the the cuts on this pen went right through.
Having examined under a glass I can't see saw marks and these would surely have been turned out on the brass and both wood and brass was sanded. It's encouraging to told I'm getting there.

Mike

Top Bottom