Stick fast medium CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have always used just plain stick fast CA glue for finishing my pens. Has always worked great. Was on Amazon, needing to get another bottle and seen this, see attached image. Seems stick fast has a new version , made especially for use as a finish. Has anyone tried it? I know lots here don't like stick fast brand glue, and that's okay,as I said it works great for me. My only intent here is to ask if anyone has tried this new formulation.
IMG_0114.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Argo13

Ken, I used it as my primary finish about 5 years ago. The pens I did turned out well. I had some crack on me over time but the majority of pens I finished with this still look great. ( it was right when I started turning so technique could have contributed). I have since tried others and I like Mercury Flex better now.

I think the primary advantage over the regular stickfast is the finish stickfast has a longer work time then the normal. For me penturning is a balance between "don't be affraid to try new things" and "don't fix what ain't broke ".

KenB259

Ken, I used it as my primary finish about 5 years ago. The pens I did turned out well. I had some crack on me over time but the majority of pens I finished with this still look great. ( it was right when I started turning so technique could have contributed). I have since tried others and I like Mercury Flex better now.

I think the primary advantage over the regular stickfast is the finish stickfast has a longer work time then the normal. For me penturning is a balance between "don't be affraid to try new things" and "don't fix what ain't broke ".

Yes it has a longer cure time, it also says it's more flexible, but I have never had a finish crack. I agree and I'm just "sticking" with what I know. Might give it a try sometime though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Chief TomaToe

Hi Ken, I just finished using up a bottle of the CA wood finish medium and thin. Needless to say, I went back and purchased the regular thin and medium this time around. There is nothing wrong with the wood finish type, but as someone who has the CA finish figured out, I don't need the extra work time, and to me it actually makes things a little slower. The biggest issue for me is that the wood finish medium is thinner than the regular medium, and it takes longer to build up a finish. In terms of final performance, however, I would say both are the same. I never really tried any side by side destructive testing!

KenB259

Hi Ken, I just finished using up a bottle of the CA wood finish medium and thin. Needless to say, I went back and purchased the regular thin and medium this time around. There is nothing wrong with the wood finish type, but as someone who has the CA finish figured out, I don't need the extra work time, and to me it actually makes things a little slower. The biggest issue for me is that the wood finish medium is thinner than the regular medium, and it takes longer to build up a finish. In terms of final performance, however, I would say both are the same. I never really tried any side by side destructive testing!

Your results are pretty much what I was thinking. I don't need any extra time. I will just stick with what I know. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

vtgaryw

I too have used Stick Fast for many years. NEVER had a crack, or clouding, or crazing. I use BLO/CA so I also do not need (nor want) the longer work time. I've talked to a Stick Fast tech rep some time ago. There is a degree of flexibility in their regular thin and medium, despite what some people think. I've tried other CAs but always go back to Stick Fast. I'm very happy with the finish. That said, I *did* just buy a can of melamine lacquer to try....

Top Bottom