Steampunk kit and EasyFlow 9000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

As I've said before I really like the Schmidt high end cartridge in all pens except the PSI Steampunk where it binds. The label method of product identification is not compatible with this kit every time. Yes, I have kits that work, but most bind. This is not a complaint about the kit or those wonderful cartridges just an unfortunate incompatibility.

See photo (enlarge it) for proof and more info.

Attachments

• 3DE6EEDF-BEE0-41AF-97AC-681D080F6260.jpg
    3DE6EEDF-BEE0-41AF-97AC-681D080F6260.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Have you tried chucking the refill in the lathe, and using the skew to shave the label off up to a point that is above where it binds?
Can the part that causes the binding, be drilled a few thousandths to allow the refill to fit?

I haven't done one of these kits, so these are just ideas.

MRDucks2

You make me wonder, Mark. I have made a couple of these kits and use the same refill but have had no issues. Is it every one or just some of them? I have one in stock I use from time to time, I will check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

thewishman

Schmidt make the same refill with a printed label, rather than a sticker - in broad point.

I have the same problem with Long Clicks, the broad point solves my problems.

Exotic Blanks and Richard Greenwald both stock those refills.

bsshog40

I've never done these either but I would think a little 400 grit on the belt sander could fix it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Clearly, since millions are sold worldwide, the refill meets the spec for the Parker style pens. So, if a certain kit does not accommodate it, file the inside of the kit component until it works.

Changing the refill solves the problem FOR THAT REFILL. I sold pens, I want the customer to go to ANY Parker style refill and have it work. If the 9000 hangs up, there are probably others that will not work.

Fix the pen, not the refill

This is, of course MY OPINION!!!!!

You do NOT need to agree!!
Ed

WriteON

Have you tried chucking the refill in the lathe, and using the skew to shave the label off up to a point that is above where it binds?
Can the part that causes the binding, be drilled a few thousandths to allow the refill to fit?

I haven't done one of these kits, so these are just ideas.

Chucking- skew. May I suggest nobody try this. I commend you for trying to problem solve but what you are suggesting could be dangerous.
I agree with Ed4

Last edited:

mmayo

Clearly, since millions are sold worldwide, the refill meets the spec for the Parker style pens. So, if a certain kit does not accommodate it, file the inside of the kit component until it works.

Changing the refill solves the problem FOR THAT REFILL. I sold pens, I want the customer to go to ANY Parker style refill and have it work. If the 9000 hangs up, there are probably others that will not work.

Ed

Most of the time I agree with you, this time no. Ten to 15 kits and only 2 did not bind. I am sure it is PSI but hey this is a pain.

Does Schmidt sell easyflow 9000 without labels? I've seen other (lesser) refills that are printed no "stickered".

Terredax

Banned
Chucking- skew. May I suggest nobody try this. I commend you for trying to problem solve but what you are suggesting could be dangerous.
I agree with Ed4

Chucking a refill is no more dangerous than chucking anything else. Only the part that will have the label removed, will be extended past the chuck. If one's skew skills are not up to the task, 100 grit gouges will work.
I would not hesitate to attempt this.
Although, my second recommendation, was to drill the offending part to open it, to allow the refill to fit.

Of course, only an individual can assess their ability to accomplish a task.
Doing anything, from the time one gets out of bed in the morning, to climbing back into bed at night, has an inherent risk. It's up to the individual to calculate the risk to their ability.

WriteON

I agree with Ed4

Chucking a refill is no more dangerous than chucking anything else. Only the part that will have the label removed, will be extended past the chuck. If one's skew skills are not up to the task, 100 grit gouges will work.
I would not hesitate to attempt this.
Although, my second recommendation, was to drill the offending part to open it, to allow the refill to fit.

Of course, only an individual can assess their ability to accomplish a task.
Doing anything, from the time one gets out of bed in the morning, to climbing back into bed at night, has an inherent risk. It's up to the individual to calculate the risk to their ability.

It's everyones face to do what they are comfortable with. We learn from others and from experience and the hard way. If you chuck and skew show us the video. Happy holidays.

RDH79

Sanding the label only fixes that refill like Ed said.
You need to fix the pen. Not sure why a fill or sanding the inside of ten pen does not work. I have had over 100 different pens that some hung up but with a fill fixed the problem.
Fix the pen not the refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Ed

Most of the time I agree with you, this time no. Ten to 15 kits and only 2 did not bind. I am sure it is PSI but hey this is a pain.

Does Schmidt sell easyflow 9000 without labels? I've seen other (lesser) refills that are printed no "stickered".

Honestly, I have not asked about "non-stickered". When we order, they make the refills to fill our order--I WILL ask!!

My resolution to this quandry would be simply stop selling that pen.
The 9000 has to meet spec, if it does not fit, other commercial refills are likely not to fit. When the customer experiences this, they WILL blame YOU (in my mind, appropriately, since we knew it had this problem).

ExoticBlanks handles 1500 styles and platings of pens--I could avoid any one style without skipping a beat in my retail marketing plans (assuming I was still selling pens and doing shows, which I do not!!)

Again, MY OPINION!!!!

thewishman

When I have something that has a sticker attached to it that I want removed I simply brush, lightly, acetone on the label. Let it sit for a few minutes and then using a thumb it usually wipes right off. If you don't get it all, use the acetone again. I use an acid brush to apply the acetone and it works well. Goo Gone might work well too.

RDH79

I hope your not selling these pens your removing the label and not fixing the real problem.
You will get the pen back as soon as the customer tries to changes the refill.
Forget about the refill.
Pens the problem

CaptainJane

I have experienced binding problems with the PSI Nautical kit and the 9000 refill. My fix is to gently drill the tip piece. Not the actual tip opening, but the shaft just before it squeezes down. Use about a 3/16 bit, and just touch it up. Then, take a refill, without the spring, and check that it moves easily.

RDH79

I have experienced binding problems with the PSI Nautical kit and the 9000 refill. My fix is to gently drill the tip piece. Not the actual tip opening, but the shaft just before it squeezes down. Use about a 3/16 bit, and just touch it up. Then, take a refill, without the spring, and check that it moves easily.

Yes good tip. I have had that acouple times too.

mmayo

I hope your not selling these pens your removing the label and not fixing the real problem.
You will get the pen back as soon as the customer tries to changes the refill.
Forget about the refill.
Pens the problem

I would never fix the refill - that should have been done by Schmidt. They have other refills with printed labels so they have the technology to do it will all refills.

I use another good refill, but like the 9000 the best. Oh well we will see if Ed can get printed versions, I'll buy them and it sounds like other pens have this issue.

Thanks

mmayo

The newest spring from PSI is much improved. Thread the end with the least coils onto the refill. That with the label less EasyFlow 9000 has solved this issue for me.

Top Bottom