Stealing Time in Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from goldendj

goldendj

Between kids, work, having two bathrooms replaced, and my wife away at school, I have to steal minutes here and there to unwind. Here's my latest. Again these will probably wind up in Newport for my wife to give away to faculty and fellow students. Three weeks and she's done!

Electra in curly honey locust
Music pen in unknown hardwood
Presimo set in red palm
Annular twists in monkeypod and Spanish cedar
Virage in black walnut crotch
Artisan Signature in cherry burl
American Beauties in red flaming box elder and walnut 20220520_072049.jpg20220514_110527~2.jpg20220430_163039.jpg20220430_161944.jpg20220501_120818.jpg20220430_161856.jpg20220424_162523.jpg20220424_132305.jpg

Thanks for indulging me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Nice group David! You've done well for having so much going on. It's hard to pick a favorite, and I'm sure they will all be well received. Thanks for sharing!

I feel your pain, haven't been able to turn a pen for like 3-4 months. Hating it but was sponsoring a concert, trying to built a little house for in-laws on property, son graduating from high school, etc etc etc etc

goldendj

I feel your pain, haven't been able to turn a pen for like 3-4 months. Hating it but was sponsoring a concert, trying to built a little house for in-laws on property, son graduating from high school, etc etc etc etc
It's been tough. I literally steal a few minutes here and there. One time I might cut a blanks to length. A few days later get them drilled. A week after trimmed, etc.

What I'm finding is probably basic workflow for any business, but I'm trying to batch. Setup and teardown are the timeconsuming part of any step. Once I've got the miter box and saw out and set up, cutting five blanks adds only a little longer than just one. Once the drill and chuck are on the lathe, I drill a batch. Etc. Eventually I wind up with multiple kits ready to go. Takes several sessions to turn each, but then the short time actually helps with finishing as I'm forced to give the coats time to fully cure between

It's been tough. I literally steal a few minutes here and there. One time I might cut a blanks to length. A few days later get them drilled. A week after trimmed, etc.

What I'm finding is probably basic workflow for any business, but I'm trying to batch. Setup and teardown are the timeconsuming part of any step. Once I've got the miter box and saw out and set up, cutting five blanks adds only a little longer than just one. Once the drill and chuck are on the lathe, I drill a batch. Etc. Eventually I wind up with multiple kits ready to go. Takes several sessions to turn each, but then the short time actually helps with finishing as I'm forced to give the coats time to fully cure between

That is a good plan and process.

Alan Huey

Nice work! I especially am drawn to the lighter figured woods. Especially love the honey locust and the box elder in this group! Like you, a lot going on. A few minutes here and there in the shop. I get a batch process going where I can make progress without spending a lot of time setting up and tearing down.

goldendj

Nice work! I especially am drawn to the lighter figured woods. Especially love the honey locust and the box elder in this group! Like you, a lot going on. A few minutes here and there in the shop. I get a batch process going where I can make progress without spending a lot of time setting up and tearing down.
Thanks! I think curly honey locust is my favorite wood so far, although I like all figured woods.

kraby

I need to get back and do some nice things - haven't really had much time to do anything since I moved over a year ago now - wife keeps wanting me to organize things and so much to do around the house as well.. Need to actually steal the time as you say.

Top Bottom