Static

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I thought wood chips were tough to deal with when there's low humidity and static electricity. Acrylics are a night mare. Almost have to stay out of the shop when it's so dry. I find 40% humidity to be the desired level. Oh and not to mention the surprise when you use the buffing system.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Yes, our RH% has been in the single digits for a few days, we've been getting little zaps from every door handle. And as you say, anything spinning seems to crank up the voltage. When sanding and buffing, I've learned to stand with one arm resting on the headstock and it seems to help discharge the static.

monophoto

For as long as I can recall, my wife has insisted that we had to have a humidifier on our furnace. She had problems with asthema as a child, and she was told that she should avoid excessive dryness. And our experience is that we tend to be healthier when we keep the humidity a bit higher.

I generally keep ours set to maintain 30-40% RH in the house in the winter, but days like last weekend when it was bitterly cold make that a real challenge - too much humidity and you start getting condensation and even ice buildup on windows which eventually means that the windows need to be repainted.

Top Bottom