Starting to make rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SpiritRider

I am thinking of making inlay rings. I have heard two different versions of doing the gem inlay, one using uv cure and one with ca glue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which is better or any other tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

My opinion…. I've used UV curing resin on other projects and don't care for it. It's hard to apply thin layers and keep air bubbles out. I'd stick with CA. I think it will be easier to control the thickness of each layer and give you a much better result. I would suggest starting several layers with very thin ca to get between the inlay material and possibly switch over to a medium ca for the final smooth surface.

RGVPens

I just started also, to give me another product for my winter shows. Here are my first two.
Had to be out of state for a family funeral all week, but I'll be doing a couple more this next week.
Thanks for the tip on UV John, I had wondered if I need to use that.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 61

boatemp

I am thinking of making inlay rings. I have heard two different versions of doing the gem inlay, one using uv cure and one with ca glue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which is better or any other tips?
The paper in the library is full of information.

RunnerVince

Thanks everyone,
I am starting my first inlay tonight, my wife has already claimed it
My wife is my most loyal customer. Unfortunately, I don't make any money off of her. :p On the bright side, when she wants me to make her a pen/seam ripper/ring, she usually buys the kit and blank. And given that she puts up with me using our apartment balcony as my shop, an occasional "donation" of my labor is really no cost at all.

Top Bottom