Starting out as a penturner. Any tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnrem4772

Hi, I am just starting out as a pen Turner from the Philippines. I have a few experiences with casting resin like polyester and I wanted to try turning pens myself. Any tips for absolute beginners like me in turning pens. Thank you.

Here are some of my prototypes I made last October. I Iried drilling some of them with no signs of cracking.
FB_IMG_1572147339236.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day John

Welcome to the IAP family all the way from South Australia.

The best thing you could have done as a new penturner was to join IAP, here you will get the most useful info to get you right where you should be.

Ask questions and familiarise yourself with the site, how to post pics, etc, etc, however, you should not underestimate the value and richness of our library, it has taken many years from most of us to get that info available to anyone.

Tell us what sort of woods you have around you and what lathe and tools you have already.

Casting is fun, Polyester is a fair resin to work with but you have a lot better resins to work with and try, less smell and less toxicity.

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

magpens

Hi John !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Do you have a lathe ? . If so, what type ? . That's your most fundamental and universal need.

There are books on pen turning, the best one being the one by Richard Kleinhenz .... you can search for that one on Amazon, or on a dedicated book site such as Alibris.

There is some "getting started" info here on IAP in Resources/Library.

bmachin

I'll second what Mal said. Richard Kleinhenz's The Pen Turner's Bible is a fantastic book for beginners and beyond. It is one of the best investments you can make in terms of clear, concise instruction.
I would recommend the hard copy rather than the Kindle version--it's easier to refer to in the shop.

Here is the Amazon link:

Bill

Woodchipper

Welcome. I was a multi-millionaire until I started making pens. Now I'm a millionaire. I would guess that you have some exotic woods from the Philippines. If I recall there are many islands that make up the PI with each one having a specific species of wood. Good luck and looking forward to photos of your pens.

Johnrem4772

Welcome. I was a multi-millionaire until I started making pens. Now I'm a millionaire. I would guess that you have some exotic woods from the Philippines. If I recall there are many islands that make up the PI with each one having a specific species of wood. Good luck and looking forward to photos of your pens.

Can Recycled Hardwood like Acacia be used for Pens?
Welcome to the IAP Johnrem. What type of pens do you plan to make ?
Fountain Pens in general.
Welcome! I would imagine that mahogany is fairly easy to obtain there.

I think so, imma look around.

Can Recycled Hardwood like Acacia be used for Pens?
Welcome to the IAP Johnrem. What type of pens do you plan to make ?
Fountain Pens in general.

Top Bottom