Starting a new hobby.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

Since I love making fountain pens, I decided to start restoring old ones as well.
This one has turned out amazing, after I worked on the body. Now if I could only get the 14k nib to separate from its 40+ years of dried ink, but that part is soaking tonight overnight to be attempted again tomorrow.
I think it's coming along nicely 🙂
F10D9EEC-4019-4DDE-BB04-20C49B91FCFC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bryguy

I got started in this hobby by refurbing antique FPs. I have a Majestic just like yours. I've probably been refurbing for 15 years now. Try adding a little ammonia to your soaking solution (1 tsp to a cup of water). I bought a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and it works wonders for getting old ink to dissolve. Enjoy the hobby!

Interesting what you both do. I've gone to many antique stores while traveling and I've always wondered if the old FP's are worth fixing up. I guess they are some some, like the photo's here, are beautiful. I might try to find one some day and give it a try. Thank you both for sharing this.

Darrin

Interesting what you both do. I've gone to many antique stores while traveling and I've always wondered if the old FP's are worth fixing up. I guess they are some some, like the photo's here, are beautiful. I might try to find one some day and give it a try. Thank you both for sharing this.
Old pens are most definitely worth dissecting, repairing and fixing.
We learn from the past if we want to continue to accelerate our trade. 🙂

Attachments

• B5BB3DFD-7900-4159-AC3A-B83CC77E9F21.jpeg
    B5BB3DFD-7900-4159-AC3A-B83CC77E9F21.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 114
Old pens are most definitely worth dissecting, repairing and fixing.
We learn from the past if we want to continue to accelerate our trade. 🙂

You've just about got the hook set now. I'm scheduled for a weeks vacation in Idaho at the end of next month (hopefully with the virus gone). There's an antique store we always stop at that is like a small mall and many of the vendors have old pens. I'll keep my eyes open. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions if you don't mind me asking.
BTW, another beautiful pen!

budnder

That's a sharp looking pen. I admit to spending too much time on ebay these past couple of weeks looking at fountain pens as well... I go through periods where I'll ink up an old Shaeffer or Esterbrook and use it for a few weeks just for fun, though generally I find the vintage stuff a little small for my tastes. I've been wanting to try and turn a new body and cap for one of the old sections and I've just not gotten around to giving that a go.

Scott

Fountain pens, especially beautiful celluloid fountain pens, is a huge black hole! After wallowing around in that black hole for a while, I finally concentrated on Italian celluloid pens from Omas and Stipula. They are so cool! But be warned! 😀

scott.

Bryguy

Collecting old pens and refurbishing them is definitely a labor of love. It certainly isn't a money maker. I've sold a few refurbs on Ebay and barely covered my expenses for parts, Using vinegar for the soak won't make a difference. Ink is slightly acidic, so adding ammonia, and alkali helps neutralize and dissolve it.

Top Bottom