Start of first Lathe-made pipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

To date, all of the pipes I've made have been shaped on sanding discs. Today, I took a stab at turning the basic shape for a pipe on my lathe. Turning pens over the winter has given me a lot of practice (and confidence). My first try I believe will work out well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

A four jaw chuck, a face plate, and some ingenuity and you can make just about anything you can conceive on a lathe -lathe swing being the major size limiting factor.

The wood looks nice, what kind? Briar of some variety?

Last edited:

firewhatfire

seems I saw a video on doing that ona pipe forum once. check youtube for it, could give a little more insight, it looks like you ware well on your way to making areally nice pipe.

keep us posted with the progress

Bobostro61

Looks good - I hope that weak spot doesn't go all the way through, however, or you're going to have some burn-through!

Andrew

No, it doesn't. It's just on the outside. The entire tobacco chamber is clean. As for the ones on top, I'm going to shorten the bowl by about 1/8" anyway so those will go away too. Once a good cake builds up, that spot on the side won't be an issue.

Last edited:

Bobostro61

A four jaw chuck, a face plate, and some ingenuity and you can make just about anything you can conceive on a lathe -lathe swing being the major size limiting factor.

The wood looks nice, what kind? Briar of some variety?

Yes it is briar. I'm pretty much set for the pipe making season plus more that I've purchased since this photo was taken.

Bobostro61

...the stems too?

I have acrylic and german ebonite rods to try making stems once it gets a bit warmer out. To date I've been using preformed vulcanite and acrylic. Can't wait to get that ebonite on the lathe and see what comes out. May even try a pen with it. What the heck!

parawood

Acrylic

Hmmm, acrylic. I could see some casters get into casting the stems. How about with pieces of imbedded briarwood?

Karl :biggrin:

Miles42

Nice work, being from the Chicago area I assume you attend the Pipe and Tobacco show in St Charles every year. That is one great show and was even better before the no Smoking ban. The large tent helps though.

Top Bottom