Stair Baluster Replacement Finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
After returning to my In-Laws, the replacement Balusters each needed to be custom tweaked for fit for the tenons on the bottom and the angles on the top. They were then stained and two coats of Shellac applied. A woodturner's eye will notice imperfections, but all-in-all it looks much better than open spots. The finish is quite close (my wife's contribution), and the Red Oak I used is close to the grain of the 120 year old originals (whatever they are).

I was able to repair one of the originals, the other four have been lost of decades. So there was an extra but that will only fit one spot if needed.

Happy In-Laws. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

The original thread is here: Stair Balusters.

IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Wow! Those look Original Mark! I can see a lot of love and patience went in to that project. That stairway is absolutely beautiful! Makes me wish I had an upstairs so I could hire you to make some for me. Lol

Lucky2

Mark, I can only imagine how pleased your In-Laws are, to have the missing baluster's replaced. And they probably even more pleased, with the job you did of turning the baluster's. You did a pretty good job turning them,and yes, there a a few uh-oh's in them. But, they are not very noticeable, and unless they are pointed out, they will hardly be noticed.

Len

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful balustrade !!!!

You're a consummate master craftsman, Mark !!!!

I have not any pens for a for awhile, so this was a welcomed project to learn some tool control and 100's of caliper measurements.

WOW!! Mark way to go outstanding work. I can see it now This Old House renovation by Mark coming full steam ahed.

LOL, I do not see custom spindle turning in my immediate future.

Wow! Those look Original Mark! I can see a lot of love and patience went in to that project. That stairway is absolutely beautiful! Makes me wish I had an upstairs so I could hire you to make some for me. Lol

The stairway and other sections of the house moldings are beautiful. A few leaded glass windows, scrollwork on fireplaces, etc. Unfortunately the basic house is falling apart. All electrical and plumbing is out of code and in places dangerous, in many rooms the ceilings are beginning to fall out. We can't get them to move out. MIL has mid-stage dementia and is essentially bedridden, FIL was born here, both are 94. My wife and I are spending more and more days here to assist (10-12/month). This project was simply to do something they wanted done and could take pride in. In a few years the house will be gutted or simply torn down.

Mark, I can only imagine how pleased your In-Laws are, to have the missing baluster's replaced. And they probably even more pleased, with the job you did of turning the baluster's. You did a pretty good job turning them,and yes, there a a few uh-oh's in them. But, they are not very noticeable, and unless they are pointed out, they will hardly be noticed.

Len

I would say that I usually am very critical of my turnings, but the skills to do these more accurately would take a few more months of trial spindles. For the needs of this project, I was very happy with the results; sometimes "close" is "good enough." There is one spindle I grumble over, but all is well.

Very Nice - Projects like this make me wish I had a longer bed on my lathe. - Dave

Dave, These were of varied length, but were done in two sections each (hey, I guess I did some segmenting this month 🀣. I did the first two with a join at the narrowest point. A GREAT suggestion from Curly was to move the joint to a thicker section, just 3/4" away. This allowed me to have a thicker tenon/mortise joint that also was essentially non-visable. I'll add a picture at the end.

IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a repair that matches that well. Great job!
That is from when men were men and real houses had spectacular woodwork!

The house has an interesting combination of high craftsmanship scroll work, moldings, windows and fireplaces; alongside pine moldings/trim of the lowest grade. After 120 years, the history of renovations and additions is lost. Very interesting. But for those special areas, I really admire the skills that are displayed.

Last edited:

Alan Morrison

Good job Mark. You have matched very well the work of craftmen from more than a century ago.
You should be well pleased ( as well as the in laws ) with the job.
I'm still waiting to see your first spindle inspired pen.
Alan

bsshog40

Great work Mark! I love seeing a nicely finished project. Everytime you walk in their house, I'm sure it will be a little chest-bump to see your work.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Mark! Not just a pretty face, huh? πŸ˜€
How long have you been married now?..............kinda leaven' it a bit late to suck up to the outlaws now, aren't you?.;)

Just rattling your cage Mark, not only did you match the shape of each one perfectly, but you also got the colouring absolutely spot on too. Very impressive. πŸ‘

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow Mark! Not just a pretty face, huh? πŸ˜€
How long have you been married now?..............kinda leaven' it a bit late to suck up to the outlaws now, aren't you?.;)

Just rattling your cage Mark, not only did you match the shape of each one perfectly, but you also got the colouring absolutely spot on too. Very impressive. πŸ‘

It's all in good fun Skip. Gotta find something to laugh over in these times.

Married 36 years now. A funny story. My Father-In-Law was the Probate Judge in the town we were married in. So I needed to pay him for the Marriage License. I asked if "There was a return policy." He smacked the gavel on his desk and said... "Request Denied. The License is valid with no possibility of Parole."

Top Bottom