Stainless mechanism salt grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JPW062

JPW062

I have been informed by an always confident source that the stainless mechanism salt/pepper grinders are trash. They wear out with pepper fast and with salt the minute you fill them, etc.
I will be making my first sets shortly after Christmas(an understanding customer:)
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGRIND8.html
I had been looking at these, but they are stainless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

I would be surprised if pepper wore them down but I do know they are not compatible with salt. I have sold dozens and no complaints in 4 years.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Surprise!!! Salt contributes to corrosion of metal!! Take a look at my 14 year old car, in snow and salt--much of the metal is gone!

I sold peppermills with American Stainless mechanisms, since 2000. Never had one returned. I have personally used a couple since then, they look and work great!

The same company uses ceramic for their salt, with anodized shafts.

JPW062

I realize salt will contribute to corrosion.

I have also lived on the ocean and been around ocean going boats that have stainless parts that resist corrosion pretty well even with constant salt spray. I carry a stainless pistol that gets considerable exposure to salt from my sweat and it doesn't rust. Grinding salt is probably a bit of an issue, but...

Anyone know where I can find a good selection of grinders that are ceramic and anodized? "American Stainless pepper shaker didn't get me far with google.

MRDucks2

I spent a dozen years in steel mill. A lot of different grades of stainless. If your pistol was made of the quality stainless the salt grinder, it may not hold up so well, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JPW062

I spent a dozen years in steel mill. A lot of different grades of stainless. If your pistol was made of the quality stainless the salt grinder, it may not hold up so well, either.
I spent a few years as a machinist. At a company that specializes in "exotic" alloys. Titanium, hardened aluminum, duplex, super duplex, inconel, etc.

Firearms need to have a relatively low chrome content so they are not brittle and a higher carbon content so they can be hardened, at least as I understand it.
There are much more resistant grades of stainless that are much cheaper than those used in firearms.

I have no doubt ceramic is better than stainless in this application. There seems to be a very limited number of ceramic kits available, assuming all those not clearly labeled ceramic are stainless. The pump-n-grind one handed kit with glass window is what I want. I'd settle for any pump-n-grind style one handed, but doesn't seem to be any ceramic.

I will make one for myself and see how it holds up.

Top Bottom