Stainless Coyote pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its been quite awhile since Ive posted a pen and I need to get back in the swing of things. I generally keep a few Sierra Style kits on hand in case someone, (my wife for example) goes I need a pen tomorrow for oh say a Christmas gift drawing at work. I like the Stainless kits sold by McKinzie Penworks for the weight and quality. I have really liked the Coyoty click version with the Schmidt click mechanism. In the past I found the twist versions tend to stop retracting and extending because the brass tube wears and stops grabbing the transmission enough to work. I have also found that people that work in the field and not at a desk prefer click pens for one handed use.
I made a couple recently, one for my wife, one for her Christmas drawing, and a couple more just cause I could. The blue striped pen is the one I gave my wife for her use. The scale pattern is for a co worker of hers that she will give them after Christmas when she returns to work.
On the blue stripe pen I went with the manufactured dimenesions. Im not a fan, Its not that it doesnt work but I like a thicker bodied pen. A thicker body means less chance of the tube showing through or cracking or breaking of the blank. Thats just my preference.
The pen dimensions as manufactured has a .440 at the nose cone end. and .478 at the clip. I decided I wanted a larger body and ran off the the Hardware Store to buy some stainless steel washers. I bought bopth 1/4 and 5/16 washers, Std. 1/4 washer were perfect for what I wanted. 5/16 are to large inside diameters by a smidge. :D
I drilled out the 1/4 washer with an "S" drill bit and it fit perfectly, I then made a brass mandrel to mount them and cut them down to .494 on my metal lathe. I ran a file over one edge to round it off as well as making the transformation from blank to kit less noticable. Because the washers add .100 to the length I need to reduce the tube that much to keep the correct length for the pen to work. If you study the two pens you will see the extra washers on the pen with the scale pattern.
This is going to become my go to procedure when making these kits.

Attachments

• blue stripe pen.jpg
    blue stripe pen.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 143
  • pen 1.jpg
    pen 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 143
  • pen 2.jpg
    pen 2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 140
  • pen 3.jpg
    pen 3.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 133
  • pen parts.jpg
    pen parts.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I like that thicker look, too. The washers really make that look like it was designed that way, and you'll have your own personal touch on them. What blanks are those? I especially like the scaled look.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
John,
Both blanks were designed in Rhino, a 3d cad program I use. The scale outline was 3d printed then filled with copper resin.
The blue ones, the twist was 3d printed, cast in brass and a silicone mold made of the twist. Then i pour the twist in resin then fill it as a second operation. Both are scaled so they keep the pattern as they are turned down.

jttheclockman

John,
Both blanks were designed in Rhino, a 3d cad program I use. The scale outline was 3d printed then filled with copper resin.
The blue ones, the twist was 3d printed, cast in brass and a silicone mold made of the twist. Then i pour the twist in resin then fill it as a second operation. Both are scaled so they keep the pattern as they are turned down.
Thanks. I thought maybe you figured out a method to do that as a segmented blank. Looks good.

jttheclockman

It was actually inspired by one of your segmented blanks from years ago.
Thank you. That is what got me thinking because SkipRat (Steven and I thought about trying to get the lines to spiral like that. I just dropped it after some trying but now i see yours I may give it another go. I miss that guy. We use to run things past each other all the time. Trying to think outside the box. Again nice work. I wound up doing this but I messed up because I should have taken the entire pen into consideration when figuring out the angle of the spirals. I took the cap and body individually. Never tried to fix it but as they say never give up.

Copy of IMGP0400.JPG
Copy of Copy_of_Copy_of_IMGP0404__1552591973_16161.jpg

Top Bottom