stained glass supplies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxwell_smart007

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I know that some people on here do stained glass, so I was looking for some advice.

Just wondering what a starter kit for stained glass would involve?

I can think of a glass cutter - any suggestions?
soldering iron...
what else?

I'm looking at doing some stained glass when I get into a windfall of cash in a billion years, but wanted to start looking at supplies now, so I'll be ready if and when I can afford another hobby! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
LOL... I'll bet Dawn would have the perfect starter kit for you! :biggrin: I've SEEN her trailer full of stuff at a show. She keeps telling me my wife wants to do glass work since I'm doing a few shows that would give us another product! I think she has an overabundance of stuff that she knows I can't put on a lathe! :eek::eek:

Her glass work is fabulous and I'll bet she would be a great resource to start with your questions Andrew! If she doesn't see this and chime in, make sure you drop her a note.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

DON'T do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when you ignore that, I bought Dawn a "starter set" one Christmas---but I am a "guy with toys". So, I knew she didn't need a SPECIAL soldering iron, I had several--Glass cutter??? Got a few of those, too. SOLDER:eek::eek::eek:---Hell fire, man, I had LOTS of solder, several types.

For some reason, her early work had some "issues".

AMAZINGLY, when SHE bought a soldering iron and solder from a "stained glass" source, her work got a LOT better---and EASIER, she claimed.

So, if you try to "chince out" and use the tools you have-----won't work!:mad::mad::mad:

TomW

I bought my LOML a starter kit 10 years ago. Lost 1/2 my garage 8 years ago. Got it back but lost the entire game room 5 years ago....now, I'm gradually loosing garage to spare glass "storage"... Delphi is a money disposal organization.

There are many essentials:
1) Wheel Cutter (fancy self-oiled cutter that scores the glass)
2) water lube band saw
3) water lube grinder
4) various cutters for lead came (pliers)
5) various pliers for breaking scored glass
6) soldering iron (not standard electronics or weller)
7) light table
8) Large, flat, dedicated work table
9) work surface covered in homosote
10) cutter for zinc
11) software for design (glasseye) from www.dfly.com
12) all the tools, squares, fancy devices, pliers, widgets, etc you can imagine....
13) Large area for storing "spare glass"

List keeps growing....

Tom

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is NO SUCH THING as SPARE glass---I have over 2000 sq feet of VERY VITAL glass!!! Not to mention my office which has hundreds of sheets of ADDITIONAL VITAL glass!!

BTW, glass is sold by the square foot--we have MILES!! And every time some was shipped to us, a portion BREAKS in shipping.

Top Bottom