Stadium Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I have some blanks from Stadium Blanks that are ground up plastic seats cast in I think alumilite. After finishing with CA I notice a small spot that looked like the finish had lifted when I removed the bushings, I thought I was being very careful. Since these are not wood I knew there wouldn't be a witness mark if I sanded down the CA on the end and refinished. But after that I had what looked like lifted finish away from the end of the blank. This was always over the plastic seat pieces not the resin. I also had to hold the piece with the light just right to see the problem. On wood blanks whenever the CA lifted you could see the problem from any angle but not on these. Has anyone had a problem like this before? I am going to sand them down and refinish but I am wondering if I need to wipe the blank down with IPA before finishing. I used some of these same blanks last year and didn't have a problem with them. This has happened on two blanks this time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

I would love to know what you did to fix this. I just bought one of his blanks last month at the MPG and one of them is the same type of ground up seat. If I run into that problem when turning mine it would be great to know how to fix it.

I've heard of people using super thin CA to "reseal" the edges but I don't know if it will work in this case or not

Humongous

Just a guess but the seat may be HDPE or another polyethylene which can be problematic with CA. I would skip the CA and just go with micromesh and plastic polish or buffing if you have one. You should get a nice shine without the CA.

Bope

Sorry for taking so long to get back but talking to owners is not always productive. I did contact Michael and the only response I got was asking if I used the plastic less stick bushings. I told him yes and no response after that. I was hoping the combined knowledge here might have had a similar issue with other similar plastics being imbedded in resin.

Top Bottom