Stabilizing some trash trees

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ecrouse

So in Texas the Chinese Tallow (CT) tree is basically a weed. They are fast growing crap trees that live for 20-30 years then die for no good reason. I have 10 acres and a ton of the trees on that are CT trees. I keep them because they are good cover but I cut them out whenever they threaten an oak, maple, or even a cedar. The thing about them that I am discovering now is they damage easily (already knew this) and that damage causes really interesting grain patterns (just discovering this). Was walking the property today, surveying for spring mowing and found a crotch with a knot piece of CT and figured what the heck, lets cut it up on the bandsaw and see what's inside. Turns out it was pretty interesting. First of all, it was rotten as can be, like crush it in your hands rotten. I cut it in to 3/4 to 1" slices and stuck what held together in the oven. It was pretty crumbly so I figured I'd get dust back but I ended up with dry, fragile pieces that were super light, like lighter than balsa but with some really interesting grain patterns. So I stuck them in the vac chamber to see what would happen. They are in there now, some in plain and some in green. Pretty excited to see what comes out, especially the green as it seems to be taking up a lot of resin.

1582434653789.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

In my timbers list, I have some of those type woods that most people wouldn't even want for firewood but in fact, I have created some very unique blanks by stabilising them with colour so with 2, 3 or 4 different colours so what you are doing is utilised a natural resource that would otherwise be wasted/never used.

What I particularly like about your pic is your smart process of stopping the metal from rusting, don't laugh, I actually had a good friend of mine visiting me a few weeks ago, he had a metal weight he made for his 4" clear tube/Curtis stabilising chamber, he had spent some time making that weight and then wire brushed it nice and clean so, he asked me to coat that piece of metal on catcus juice so that he could cook it when he got home. Interestingly or not, it works...! ;)

Cheers
George

ecrouse

Heh, those are hold downs from my mill that I have re-purposed as hold downs for my wood

1582436413589.png

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Bees love Chinese Tallow and it makes great honey. I have a lot of CT on my property in Alvin and I have an arrangement with Stroope's Honey Co. in Pearland. They put hives on my property & tend to them and I get a case of honey each year.
1AE397FC-E3F8-4CA2-870C-C6BD31CBE78B.jpeg
01B25755-9004-4970-9D16-DDA76618C727.jpeg

ecrouse

Wasnt too impressed with how the green came.out on it's own so I tossed it in some alumilite with a blue green color shift mica.

Experimenting is fun

In the 5 blank box. The other stuff us something else I'm doing.
20200229_141604.jpg

ecrouse

Turned down to final dimension, finished in GF WTF and sanded to 12000 + MG 205 polish.

Guess I'm gonna start pickup up more sticks in the yard :)

Side1800x600.jpg

Side2800x600.jpg

Side3800x600.jpg

Top Bottom