Stabilizing Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I am relatively new to the stabilizing game, but I've been very successful and happy with my results. This is my question though, I see posts, not here, mainly Facebook, where someone will says things like, " I baked it for 4 days, had it under vacuum for a week and then let it soak a month". My question is simply, why? I'm thinking you started out with something that didn't need stabilizing. Only thing I can think of is they wanted to dye it, but most of what I see was just done with clear resin. What am I missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I don't think you are missing anything.

There is at least one you tube person who promotes his lengthy process for stabilizing as being ideal because he bakes longer, draws vacuum longer, soaks longer and cures longer. Good for him but it is simply longer, wasting time and energy. He likely decided to go that route to make up for other shortfalls in his process.

That is likely what others are doing, also. If you dry something forever you don't have to check to see if it is dry. If you draw vacuum forever you don't have to watch for bubbles. If you soak forever you don't have to time or monitor your resin update. If you cure forever you can hope it made some kinda of difference (CJ really doesn't work like that that).

Oh, and I have no idea where the tendency to stabilize everything has come from. We have had members do the same here. I guess it can be a marketing thing and generate more margin or just make them feel better as most good wood simply takes very little juice. The "I stabilize everything" really makes little sense.

leehljp

Member Liaison
To me it is a simple answer - they don't know the specifics in the same way in engineer or someone well experienced does, so overkill happens. Or they don't trust a scientific (well documented) chart on the subject. Better to overdo it than not enough. Can't remember the bridge in NY City but it has been said that the bridge was built 10 times stronger than it needed to be, which in the long run is good. The engineers at the time did not know what engineers know today, so it was overbuilt.

Not knowing the exact and best times, temps and vac specs, better to overdo it to get a good result than to under do it.

PatrickR

I'll admit that when I started I would stabilize everything. Now I'm more selective.
The times you mention are excessive. I have found that using pressure over "soaking' makes a big difference. Soaking is really applying pressure, just atmospheric, so less than 2. Even more dense woods will sink after 6-8 hours under 50lbs. I still stabilize most wood just not the densest, most oily ones with those it actually seems counterproductive to me.

JohnU

I think some believe if it's stabilized it's resistant to blowouts, which is crazy if it's naturally stabile. I see people on FB post how they stabilize pinecones and other small embedded objects before they cast them. To me it's all excessive overkill. I tried it and could not see a difference that would make me want to mess with it. They are small and encased in resin to hold them in place. The only thing I could see it helping is during the finishing, but I coat them in ultra thin CA and they soak up the glue much quicker than stabilizing the entire cone. I only stabilize what's desperately needed or if I'm coloring it.

Top Bottom