Stabilizing Pump Saver Hookup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

So, I want to make a "Pump Saver" chamber between my pump and vacuum chamber. The fittings on my pump and on the inlet of the chamber appear to be 1/4" Flare, Male. The chamber came with a premade hose with the mating (1/4" flare, female) fittings on it. So, I need to now hook the pump saver chamber in between the pump and vacuum chamber. It turns out, finding mating 1/4" female fittings is a daunting task. I know there's a few online sources I can order some from, but I don't want to have to pay an outrageous amount per fitting plus shipping. Any simple solution?

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am a little baffled at the question - where are you looking at online to order from and what is considered outrageous shipping? I am not trying to be flippant at all, but just trying to understand where you are coming from. I had a suggestion as to fittings but then didn't know what you considered too much in shipping.

Grizzly does charge too much in shipping for small parts. So does Rockler, Woodcraft and a few others most of the time. Some charge per item, some don't. I get that.

AS to my suggestion, unless you have Amazon Prime, they may charge too much also. (I have A.Prime) But they give me the best choice and when I compare their prices to HD or Lowes and even Harbor Freight, they are usually equal, AND they do have a larger choice. I have had slow leakage in my air hoses for ages and then found some at Amazon (on the recommendation of a friend) and my leaks have stopped.

As to your mating email fittings, look for quality fittings, look for something like Miltons fittings. These are the quick connect that stopped my leaks that I had on fittings from HD and other sets from HF:

When looking for fittings on Amazon, I look for star ratings + number of reviews (in the 1000's) for a more accurate view.

IF you don't have Prime or the item is not listed as having Prime shipping, shipping might be too expensive.

ADD IN: It might be that you may benefit from changing out the 1/4" flare male to one that is from the same MFG line as the female. I have found that fittings cross MFG lines work just so-so at best.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

The simplest and cheapest solution is to leave about 4 inches of freeboard above liquid level , and to ramp up vacuum slowly over 10-15 minutes , cutting it back if bubbles are very near to being sucked into the pump . As with most things related to pen turning , patience is a virtue . Otherwise , go with Hank`s add in .

Mortalis

The simplest and cheapest solution is to leave about 4 inches of freeboard above liquid level , and to ramp up vacuum slowly over 10-15 minutes , cutting it back if bubbles are very near to being sucked into the pump . As with most things related to pen turning , patience is a virtue . Otherwise , go with Hank`s add in .
I agree with Wayne.
I've stabilized quite a few pieces now and have not found a need for the "pump saver" chamber.
You keep decent amount of headroom between the level of stabilizing fluid and the vacuum fixtures, use the shut off valve to regulate the amount of vacuum to keep the air from creating too much foam and after 10 minutes or so the large amount of excess air will have been drawn off and you can leave the valve closed to draw a complete vacuum.
When you are done, then slightly open the relief valve until the vacuum has been released slowly and you sill not have any issues.
The beginning to the process is not a drop and go away process. Once the system is stable you can then walk away.

MRDucks2

If you are looking mainly at big box stores for your fittings, try a local independent hardware store. They tend to have a better in stock selection and will often get what need in their next order if they do not have it. BUT, the price will likely be 10-20% more than Lowe's or Home Depot.

Mortalis

I am a little baffled at the question - where are you looking at online to order from and what is considered outrageous shipping? I am not trying to be flippant at all, but just trying to understand where you are coming from. I had a suggestion as to fittings but then didn't know what you considered too much in shipping.

Grizzly does charge too much in shipping for small parts. So does Rockler, Woodcraft and a few others most of the time. Some charge per item, some don't. I get that.

AS to my suggestion, unless you have Amazon Prime, they may charge too much also. (I have A.Prime) But they give me the best choice and when I compare their prices to HD or Lowes and even Harbor Freight, they are usually equal, AND they do have a larger choice. I have had slow leakage in my air hoses for ages and then found some at Amazon (on the recommendation of a friend) and my leaks have stopped.

As to your mating email fittings, look for quality fittings, look for something like Miltons fittings. These are the quick connect that stopped my leaks that I had on fittings from HD and other sets from HF:

When looking for fittings on Amazon, I look for star ratings + number of reviews (in the 1000's) for a more accurate view.

IF you don't have Prime or the item is not listed as having Prime shipping, shipping might be too expensive.

ADD IN: It might be that you may benefit from changing out the 1/4" flare male to one that is from the same MFG line as the female. I have found that fittings cross MFG lines work just so-so at best.
If you are dead set on adding a pump saver chamber, I've seen a quart (or larger) ball mason jar used (dont cheap out here, get Mason brand jar). Drill holes to match the fittings and use silicone to seal them to the lid.

MRDucks2

Not sure about your chamber size, but I have gotten in the habit of using secondary containers for small batches inside my chamber. That way I can move them out of the line of fire of the vacuum intake, if it boils over it does so into the bottom of the chamber plus it requires less resin for a small batch.

vtgaryw

Not sure about your chamber size, but I have gotten in the habit of using secondary containers for small batches inside my chamber. That way I can move them out of the line of fire of the vacuum intake, if it boils over it does so into the bottom of the chamber plus it requires less resin for a small batch.

That's what I normally do. I have some bigger objects I want to do that won't fit in a secondary container, and will raise the resin level too close for comfort, hence the pump saver chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

vtgaryw

Thanks, but I was just looking for a quick and easy solution from parts I might source locally. Amazon prime can take 1-2 weeks right now. I used to have a Grainger locally bu no more.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom