Stabilizing Eastern Red....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was wondering if anyone has ever bothered/tried to stabilize Eastern Red Cedar?

What did you use?

More importantly, did it work?

Reason I ask, I want to do a few pieces to do a 'kitless'...but if someone has tried it, and it didn't have a 'good result' with product "X". Then I could skip and try something different.

Scott (pretty please.....) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I think the important question is does it need to be stabilized Scott. I'd have a lash at it "raw" and go from there. If that doesn't work...tank the sucker and give it the CJ business. It's so soft...I can't see it working without some kind of treatment.

Last edited:

SDB777

Fair enough....

I have tried threading ERC, it doesn't work out well without thin CA. That is why I was wondering if anyone has tried.

Scott (cheese and cornbread) B

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have done ERC with fair results. I would not say great as with most hardwoods but it did improve the ERC. I have testing data for a set I did but won't post it here due to formatting issues and advertising outside the classifieds!

I will give you the average here, though.
Average beginning weight of 4 pen blanks: 67.2 grams
Average finished weight of 4 pen blanks: 121.0 grams
Average percentage increase in weight: 80.3%

SDB777

I have done ERC with fair results. I would not say great as with most hardwoods but it did improve the ERC. I have testing data for a set I did but won't post it here due to formatting issues and advertising outside the classifieds!

I will give you the average here, though.
Average beginning weight of 4 pen blanks: 67.2 grams
Average finished weight of 4 pen blanks: 121.0 grams
Average percentage increase in weight: 80.3%

I'm guessing somewhere in your home you have about 500 of those college type notepads just filled to overflowing with data.....:eek:

Did your data by any chance show whether or not the blanks could be used for 'kitless' pen turning after the 'stabilizing'?

Scott (you da man) B

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I'm guessing somewhere in your home you have about 500 of those college type notepads just filled to overflowing with data.....:eek:

Did your data by any chance show whether or not the blanks could be used for 'kitless' pen turning after the 'stabilizing'?

Scott (you da man) B

No notepads around here. If it is not kept in the computer, all I would do is loose the darn notepad! I am just a little bit passionate about what I do and just a little bit obsessive!

No data on kitless. Heck, I don't get to do many pens at all anymore, let alone kitless. I will say, however, that I did some ERC knife scales for a friend. He said they were very chippy compared to other species I have done for him. Hope that helps some.

Top Bottom