Stabilizing drift wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I looked through the older posts for an answer but couldn't find anything so I thought I'd ask. Yesterday I put some very dry drift wood in my vacuum chamber in hopes of stabilizing it. What I noticed was that at first the CJ bubbled up to beat the band. But within about 10 minutes the bubble blast had stopped and all that was happening were some very small bubbles. Within about 2-3 hours, no bubbles. Is this normal for drift wood? To bubble up and then quit so soon. After removing the vacuum the wood started absorbing a lot of the CJ to the point I had to put more CJ into the tank. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

It depends on he density of the wood. If the wood was dry and not dense then I would say it's possible it didn't take long for the C.J. to penetrate. Since you said you had to add C.J. I would think your good to go. If when It soaked up the juice if the liquid level dropped below the wood you need to pull another vacuum to make sure it didn't absorb any air. Always let the wood soak after releasing the vacuum to give the juice time to penetrate the wood.

Well here's the final outcome. After removing the vacuum I let the wood soak for 3 days. I put the pieces in the oven today for 2 hours at 200 degrees and all but one piece came out great. The piece that didn't turn out just didn't get good penetration and only soaked in about 1/32 into a piece 2 inches thick. One thing I did notice was in the weight. The pieces that were fully impregnated with the CJ are much heavier now. I'm going to try and turn something tomorrow and see how it holds up. Thanks to all for getting back to me on this.

MRDucks2

Need some pictures to prove you are telling the truth. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I'm working on it, actually my wife is. Seems I retired and got computer stupid. I think she might give me a hand today.

Great, Thanks. Growing up on the Ohio River, I am a fan of driftwood.

Well...after about 2 hours and looking at probably a dozen youtube videos I'm no closer to putting a photo on this thread than I am to flying to the moon.:mad: My wife and I tried two different lap tops and her cell phone with no luck. So, I'm turning to you. How in the h$#l do you put a photo on this website?:confused: Before I retired all you did was copy and paste the image or drag it over. Have things changed that much in 5 years?
Oh, if you want to see the end result PM me your email address and I'll send the photo's...from my wife's phone. I am going to turn a cell phone stylus today and see what the inside looks like.

MRDucks2

Adding Photos

I have only been successful adding photos to posts using my cell phone and the IAP App.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Need some pictures to prove you are telling the truth. [emoji16]

I'm working on it, actually my wife is. Seems I retired and got computer stupid. I think she might give me a hand today.

Great, Thanks. Growing up on the Ohio River, I am a fan of driftwood.

Well...after about 2 hours and looking at probably a dozen youtube videos I'm no closer to putting a photo on this thread than I am to flying to the moon.:mad: My wife and I tried two different lap tops and her cell phone with no luck. So, I'm turning to you. How in the h$#l do you put a photo on this website?:confused: Before I retired all you did was copy and paste the image or drag it over. Have things changed that much in 5 years?
Oh, if you want to see the end result PM me your email address and I'll send the photo's...from my wife's phone. I am going to turn a cell phone stylus today and see what the inside looks like.

I know nothing about cell phone and photos but most forums do not allow a copy and paste type set up for photos. But there is a postage stamp size icon in the symbols up top that if you click on it it will open a window that require to add the url and then add. Or you can use the manage attachment feature under the thread box and if you have the photo stored somewhere you can attach it to the post and it will come up as a thumbnail photo and everyone can click on it to open it. I use to be able to use PhotoBucket to copy and paste photos but being they are so independent and flaky I stopped using them. I do the thumbnail thing now. As I said not sure any of this applys when using a cell phone.

MRDucks2

Hey, John - I just went to do what you instructed and neither icon launched anything. Seeing your description, I am thinking pop-up blocking may be the issue on the computer. Out of time right now but will further experiment this evening.

Woodchipper

Casting is something down the road for me.
A bit off topic maybe but if I need computer help, I ask my 11 yo grandson. I'm of the slide rule generation. If you don't know what that is, Google it.

Casting is something down the road for me.
A bit off topic maybe but if I need computer help, I ask my 11 yo grandson. I'm of the slide rule generation. If you don't know what that is, Google it.

I agree, when I retired I gave up on computers and cell phones. Probably shouldn't have but live and learn.
My wife, who's a lot smarter than me, and I Googled it with no info to help. I've asked Jeff for advice and he gave me a bunch of youtube stuff, again, no help. Mike (MMRDucks2) is helping me now so I'll wait and see what he has to offer.
Once this gets figured out I'm going to write it down like I used to when I was working. The wood did come out very nice, easy to turn but didn't lose it's "drift wood" look.

MRDucks2

Adding Photos with Google Chrome

With Google Chrome I was able to click the paperclip icon and add a photo link, below.
097.jpg
Still is easier straight from my phone.
Still nothing using Microsoft Edge with the website on a laptop.

Top Bottom