Stabilized wood - should it stink this bad???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

A friend bought a couple pieces of Stabilized Spalted Tamarind from Woodcraft for me to work on a project for him. The wood did not smell like anything when I got it. After turning and cutting, it smells really really toxic. Even after letting a finished piece sit for several days, it still smells really bad. It stunk up my whole house and may lead to the ejection of my wood shop from the basement to the garage. Is this normal? Will the smell dissipate? Anything I can do to make fix it?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I have some professionally stabilized blanks and they do have a very strong odor when turning. The odor on my shop remains for a couple of days. The turned blank does not seem to retain the smell. I do wear a respirator for organics when turning them.

Herb

mpex

Even after turning, they still, days later still smell awful. Something like spray paint, CA and resin combined...

Jim Burr

Banned
That sounds like it may have been done with an Acetone based composite. Depending on what was used as the filler...it could have a really chemical smell to it.

its_virgil

What is an awful, toxic, sickening, pungent odor to one person may not be so to others. I have turned stabilized blanks from most all, if not all, of the suppliers (no Ebay or private suppliers) of blanks. While they all have an odor, which is the same as several of the acrylics and plastics we turn, none have been as offensive as what you seem to have and describe. Maybe it should go back to WC. Is this your first stabilized blank? Have you turned any of the various acrylic or plastics? Is it similar to those? Just trying to help figure out what is happening. Stabilized blanks use some of the same chemicals and resins that are used to make acrylic and plastic blanks. The only stabilized blanks that seem to be somewhat odorless, at least not as strong as others i have turned, are those stabilized with Castus Juice from Mesquite Man. I do wish you well and hope you figure out what is going on.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

lucky13

I have turned 8 pieces of the spalted Tamarind from Wood Craft and have not experienced any bad smell of any kind. As the wood is stabilized there shouldn't be any bad smell coming from it. If you find out what is going on please post and let me know. Good luck

mpex

What is an awful, toxic, sickening, pungent odor to one person may not be so to others...Is this your first stabilized blank? Have you turned any of the various acrylic or plastics? Is it similar to those?

I recently turned an Acrylic blank I got from WC. It had very little smell compared to this. I'm going to take it back and ask.

Moishe

76winger

I've turned spalted Tamarind and it only had a bit of a "musty" smell that seems normal with spalted woods. And I've turned some stablized woods, that have an acrylic smell to them. So I'm wondering if the wood you turned just has some combination of the two.

I would think once you cleaned up the shavings and sanding dust and got it out of the house, an put a good sealing finish on the turned pieces, the smell should go away pretty quickly.

RickLong

What is an awful, toxic, sickening, pungent odor to one person may not be so to others. I have turned stabilized blanks from most all, if not all, of the suppliers (no Ebay or private suppliers) of blanks. While they all have an odor, which is the same as several of the acrylics and plastics we turn, none have been as offensive as what you seem to have and describe. Maybe it should go back to WC. Is this your first stabilized blank? Have you turned any of the various acrylic or plastics? Is it similar to those? Just trying to help figure out what is happening. Stabilized blanks use some of the same chemicals and resins that are used to make acrylic and plastic blanks. The only stabilized blanks that seem to be somewhat odorless, at least not as strong as others i have turned, are those stabilized with Castus Juice from Mesquite Man. I do wish you well and hope you figure out what is going on.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don.... Horn and Antler, you can't tell someone may actually enjoy this foul smell. LOL...

Top Bottom