Stabilized Snakewood ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Does anyone know if there's a source for stabilized snakewood ? Beautiful wood but has a tendency to develop cracks, not from the turning, but over time. I made a beautiful pen with this (pricey wood). Months later it developed cracks. I'm reluctant to use it again unless it's been stabilized. Thanks.

jcm71

Snake wood has been discussed frequently in the past here. Recommend you do a search on the site. Loads of information I doubt stabilizing would do any good as snakewood is so dense. The best suggestionsi have read here are to drill slowly, even over several days. Heat is the enemy. Prior to assembly sand/ ream the tube insides so that all fittings are a slip fit, then use blue loctite to glue them in. Personally I have have turned them a little over sized and then set them aside to let them crack, alternating periods in the freezer and sitting in a hot shop. After the tubes cracked, I sanded it down, saving the sawdust , and using it to fill the cracks. The repair is invisible.. I still have one in inventory that I made about 5 years ago. No new cracks in it.Others will have more suggestions.

Last edited:

PatrickR

I have tried it. It introduces cracks due to the temps required. Honestly snakewood along with ebony are just not a good choice for kit pens. The very thin layer of wood combined with being glued to a tube makes a bad combination.

Top Bottom