stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boatemp

Found a 3 gal pot with glass lid, gauge etc.., on Walmart, no pump. I think have one hidden away somewhere. It is a Yescom USA. Any thoughts? I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with this particular brand. Also, why is a glass top so desirable.
Thanks for any help I can get.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I don't know anything about this chamber from Yescom, but most vacuum chambers described as degassing chambers are not suitable for stabilizing wood. If I were you, I'd just buy one from TurnTex, they are guaranteed for life and since you already have a pump, the expense is not that much.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Sorry, I have no experience with that particular brand, but is my experience with lid materials used on vacuum chambers built out of big stainless steel pots:

I started out with a chamber I bought online. The advertisement said it had an Acrylic lid. The lid was 10-inches in diameter, 1/2-inch thick and had the gauges and outlet mounted through a hole in the lid. On my first run the lid imploded - Ka-Boom! - Scared the crap out of me, ruined the vacuum gauge, and splattered Cactus Juice all over my shop. Plexiglass is a true Acrylic and in my opinion is not suited for this application because it is somewhat brittle and is prone to cracking under stress, especially when holes are drilled through it.

I bought a 1/2-inch piece of Polycarbonate (Lexan) as a replacement because Polycarbonate is a much tougher material and handles stress much better than Acrylic could ever do. At the same time, I bought a good quality step drill and drilled a hole in the side of the chamber (a big stainless steel pot) and mounted my new vacuum gauge assembly through the chamber instead of through the lid. Two big improvements. After a few batches though I noticed the inside top surface of the lid started to look a little crazed on the surface. I read somewhere that the solvents in the Cactus Juice might be starting to degrade the surface of the lid. Ok, I was still a little nervous when I used it because of the implosion and all, so...

I bought a 1/2-inch glass lid because no solvent I would ever use in it would even dare to compromise the integrity of glass. I think I would have been OK continuing to use the Polycarbonate, but I have much less apprehension about the glass lid.

I'm sure that many people that stabilize are successful with Plexiglass and Polycarbonate lids, even those with holes drilled through them for the hardware, but I find the process less stressful by using the configuration and materials I ended up with. - Dave

Attachments

• Stabilizing Test Implosion.png
    Stabilizing Test Implosion.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Joebobber

I bought 1 of those kits once. When that cheap lid broke it was like a shotgun blast. The fact it had red dye in it made it look that way too... what a mess

Mortalis

Two years ago I purchased a Yescom 3 gallon through Amazon (paid $109 US). It has the tempered glass lid with the hole in through the top. At first it would not hold vacuum but that was because I did not have the valve tube secured properly through the glass lid. Once I followed the video link that came with the instructions I have not had any problems with vacuum chamber. I wanted the larger chamber because I knew I would be stabilizing bowl blanks and I'm glad I did.

I've run a dozen batches of product through the stabilizing process and I do not have any crazing or cracks. The only thing I have had difficulty with on the unit is the seal material is very soft and if it comes off the top of the chamber is a bear to get back on due to its softness. I just needed one more set of hands to hold it in place all around the circumference of the top as it would easily slip off when trying to stretch/seat it in place. Once in place it will stay but boy was that frustrating.

The one thing about mounting the valve through the side of the chamber is that you lose about an inch and a half or so of headroom. The stabilizing process if rushed will cause foam to bubble up and that loss of headroom could change your capacity a bit. The tube through the top you lose about 1/2 inch of headroom. I know it doesnt sound like a lot but there is a fine line of product capacity and Cactus Juice quantity required for the process and sometimes it comes really close and the margin for error becomes very small that the foam will enter the valve stem. I would want all the headroom I can get, just from experience.

boatemp

I don't know anything about this chamber from Yescom, but most vacuum chambers described as degassing chambers are not suitable for stabilizing wood. If I were you, I'd just buy one from TurnTex, they are guaranteed for life and since you already have a pump, the expense is not that much.
"Multi-application - suitable for degassing urethanes, silicone, epoxies and more
- Strong and durable stainless steel container with chemical-resistant silicone gasket."

Part of description of chamber. I'm hoping this includes cactus juice.

Two years ago I purchased a Yescom 3 gallon through Amazon (paid $109 US). It has the tempered glass lid with the hole in through the top. At first it would not hold vacuum but that was because I did not have the valve tube secured properly through the glass lid. Once I followed the video link that came with the instructions I have not had any problems with vacuum chamber. I wanted the larger chamber because I knew I would be stabilizing bowl blanks and I'm glad I did.

I've run a dozen batches of product through the stabilizing process and I do not have any crazing or cracks. The only thing I have had difficulty with on the unit is the seal material is very soft and if it comes off the top of the chamber is a bear to get back on due to its softness. I just needed one more set of hands to hold it in place all around the circumference of the top as it would easily slip off when trying to stretch/seat it in place. Once in place it will stay but boy was that frustrating.

The one thing about mounting the valve through the side of the chamber is that you lose about an inch and a half or so of headroom. The stabilizing process if rushed will cause foam to bubble up and that loss of headroom could change your capacity a bit. The tube through the top you lose about 1/2 inch of headroom. I know it doesnt sound like a lot but there is a fine line of product capacity and Cactus Juice quantity required for the process and sometimes it comes really close and the margin for error becomes very small that the foam will enter the valve stem. I would want all the headroom I can get, just from experience.
Thank you for the reassurance. I have been getting so much garbage and misrepresented stuff that a little encouragement is welcome. The primary reason I got a stabilization outfit is the building I used to have my office in had a fire. This building was built in 1850.I got about 20 sq.ft. of redwood from inside the walls. One inch thick but very soft.
I promised the owner a few pens from the original building materials. Again, Thanks for the review.

boatemp

Then should I get a glass container? I've got a 2 gal. "cookie jar" that I can make a seal for.
Thanks

KenB259

My advice is still to just buy a TurnTex. To me, it's just not worth the risk of an accident happening. It's a one time expense, Curtis stands behind all his chambers with a lifetime guarantee.

Mortalis

View attachment 322552From Yescom chamber on Amazon.
Question:
What is the issue with using Cactus Juice?
Answer:
I use Cactus Juice in my vacuum chamber all the time with no issues. Of course, I use smaller glass jars with the Cactus Juice inside the vacuum chamber to ease with cleanup. This is a very nice vacuum chamber and I have been very pleased. No leaks at all.
By Robert S. on December 28, 2019
I have no direct experience but I read that Cactus Juice will permanently fog or scar the surface of plastic type lids and you can not see the bubbles. I bought this one because it has a glass lid which is okay with cactus Juice.
By Lifelong Tech on December 28, 2019
This is a great vacuum chamber but I use it as my secondary vacuum chamber after I have extracted the majority of the oxygen from my wood. It can bring atmospheric pressure to a near perfect vacuum but it doesn't regulate quickly which can easily result in a "boil over" of what ever brand of stabilizing resin you are… see more
By Amazon Customer on December 28, 2019
I didn't have no issue just had to make sure it is fully covered with an inch of juice or so over the top
By Amazon Customer on December 29, 2019
It is just the manufacturer covering their backside. I have used it in this for years now.
By James L. Wright on December 29, 2019

From customers Questions on the unit I purchased with the glass lid.
That compatibility statement is a CYA. I've been using mine since Sept 2020 and have run over 8 gallons of Cactus Juice through it.

And the following is directly off Turntex website

Can I use a Acrylic lid on my Chamber with Cactus juice or do I need to get a glass one?

Acrylic can indeed be used for a lid IF it is sufficiently thick enough. Cactus Juice, in direct contact with the acrylic for extended periods, can case a slimy film to build up on the acrylic but you lid should not be in direct contact to begin with. Some chamber manufacturers claim that Cactus Juice will cause the lid to crack due to "fumes" but they do not understand the chemistry of Cactus Juice. There are no "fumes" from Cactus Juice, even under full vacuum. Most acrylic lid failures are caused by insufficient thickness of the acrylic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom