SS braid Groove

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Use SS braid to make blank and Groove Gun Metal kit.

IMG_4150.jpg
IMG_4151.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I always liked working with braided materials because they look classy and this is such a case. Nice job. Question what resin did you cast in?? Thanks for showing.

Dieseldoc

Had to make way to pull tight the braid on the tube. Use a pull clamp with couple vice grips, it worked but need to be improved .
Tube is .266 and nib and center band is .328 so you don't have much left with braid pulled very tight and a coat or two of thin CA , blank is at .318 before casted in Aumlite clear. Another thing is the tube, even with braid pulled very tight the brass tube shows a little in the back round, that is why I was was looking for nickel tube, which I found from my good friend Warren White as he has some in his stash.

At first I tried to just use CA to coat the braid blank but results was not even and that is why I casted with alumlite clear.

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not sure what braiding you are using but have since switched to the plumbers flex hose stuff. It does 2 things. It is a tad thinner and also has a nice gloss coating on it that when cast it really shines. I too use nickle tubes when I can or spray paint a gloss silver. It does show through the weave. The one that I have no problems with is copper braiding. That stuff is real thick weave and no show through so just use brass tubes.

Old Hilly

Way back in my youth we used to work with coaxial cable which has a braided copper wire outer shield, Being copper, the brass inner tube wouldn't show through as much. Hmmm, RG8U co-ax could be about the right size. Hmmmmm.

Top Bottom