Squares - Spread Formation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just playing around with the spacing to try something different.

The modification actually made it easier to construct. For the walnut middle spacers, instead of making triangles, make a trapezoid (I had to look that one up :tongue:).

This blank had three inlays, about .25" wide. I'm starting to like the 5-ply end rings. The inlays are OK, but need to try with veneers between each to give more definition.

C & C welcomed.

EDIT: Almost forgot my reason for existing... To make a shameless plug for the Segmented Pen Contest in February!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Nicely done Mark.

Now, be nice to the segmentors out there and stop showing new stuff until after the contest! I've got some ideas brewing that might also be in your mind.

Maybe when I retire I will be able to spend the time to create and post the type of beautiful pens you make. (Only 1750 days - not that I'm counting...)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nicely done Mark.

Now, be nice to the segmentors out there and stop showing new stuff until after the contest! I've got some ideas brewing that might also be in your mind.

Maybe when I retire I will be able to spend the time to create and post the type of beautiful pens you make. (Only 1750 days - not that I'm counting...)

Fair enough Steve! Brew away. I've been working on some other ways to promote the contest (literary, not including any turning projects). So I'll let the creative juices flow until March.

Segmenters, start your engines.............

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Come on Chuck, you know in your heart that you can join in the fun!

No thanks Steve! I'm going to learn how to make a pen again. :wink:

Hey Buddy, you may want to consider the EVIL contests: Kitless, Freestyle, Pretty Wood Pen or Slimline. I can't seem to find all the links... But they would love an "oldie but goodie" like you. Sorry, your hair line disqualifies you for the youth contests :rolleyes:.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Come on Chuck, you know in your heart that you can join in the fun!

No thanks Steve! I'm going to learn how to make a pen again. :wink:

Hey Buddy, you may want to consider the EVIL contests: Kitless, Freestyle, Pretty Wood Pen or Slimline. I can't seem to find all the links... But they would love an "oldie but goodie" like you. Sorry, your hair line disqualifies you for the youth contests :rolleyes:.

Definitely an Oldie! Not sure about a contest of any sort. I can humiliate myself with much less effort. :biggrin:

bsshog40

Very nice Mark! I don't see how y'all can get such intricate cuts. My bandsaw just doesn't have the steadiness to cut that good, even with a sled I made for it. Lol I can probably do the slimline contest but I have a good feeling the segment contest is out of my league. Lol

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Mark! I don't see how y'all can get such intricate cuts. My bandsaw just doesn't have the steadiness to cut that good, even with a sled I made for it. Lol I can probably do the slimline contest but I have a good feeling the segment contest is out of my league. Lol

G'Day Billy:

If you look at some of my past threads, many of these angled segments are not cut, they are sanded. Others do in fact cut them, but I do not. Many different ways to get to the same result. I use a disk sander, a sanding block with the appropriate angle, double sided tape and many, many failures. Give it a try, screw up a bunch, and eventually you will be successful. No magic, just spit and polish.

What material is the thin spacers? Wood?

If you mean the 5=ply end caps, yes, solid wood, not veneers: Padauk, Maple, Wenge, Maple, Padauk. I started with .0625" stock and milled them down with a Byrnes thickness sander. Insure that side grain is on all sides, not end grain (e.g., use a pen blank or similar if possible. Or a board; a bit tricky).

If you are referring to the middle sections in the inlay, yes, also wood - Walnut., Padauk ends, maple squares. Again, milled individually for spacing close to what was needed.

Top Bottom