Square & Multistart threads on wood lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Meet us at the MAPG and see the unveiling of the incredible threading machine. You can cut square or multistart threads on virtually any wood lathe with this low cost jig. No taps or dies needed. Be there and cut square (threads that is).

Multistart thread with home-made thread mill holder
attachment.php

Jig set to cut multistart threads
attachment.php

Close-up of set up for square threads
attachment.php

Jig set up for square threads
attachment.php

2-start thread in alumilite
attachment.php

Square thread in padauk
attachment.php

Attachments

• t1.JPG
    t1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 2,052
  • t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,473
  • t3.JPG
    t3.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 1,216
  • t4.JPG
    t4.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 1,931
  • 2 start.jpg
    2 start.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • sqt.JPG
    sqt.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,050
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thrustmonkey

Wish I could make it there. Very interesting. Really nice clean threads. What about the cost?

Really nice threads.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I was fortunate to have most of the pieces lying around. If I had nothing, I think it could be done for less than $100 and probably much less. High cost items are adapter to hold chuck ~$20, acme thread and anti-backlash nut ~$20. Single point thread mills can be $30-40, but for square threads the little dremel tool is only about $5.00.

Wish I could make it there. Very interesting. Really nice clean threads. What about the cost?

Really nice threads.

low_48

Is it just me, or just the photo? But that double start in Alumilite looks like it has two different depths. I'm also wondering about the fit of the nut on a square thread. Isn't the advantage of a tapered cut that you can adjust the depth to bring up a good fit. Isn't the square going to either rattle or be too tight? Seems like the square thread is going to be very difficult to get the fit. Nice jig, just thinking out loud.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Good eye! Hadn't noticed that on the double start. Either the set-up or a little runout.

Square threads have always fascinated me from the first time I saw the on a pen made by Dan Symonds. Dan now making them for Franklin-Christoph.

Model 19 Fountain Pen - Franklin-Christoph Fine Writing

The thing that makes them work (at least for me) is that the cutter is a few thousands thicker than .050 and that the pitch is 10 TPI. I've only made a few pieces with this, but definitely not too tight and doesn't seem to rattle. One advantage is less prone to chip.

Is it just me, or just the photo? But that double start in Alumilite looks like it has two different depths. I'm also wondering about the fit of the nut on a square thread. Isn't the advantage of a tapered cut that you can adjust the depth to bring up a good fit. Isn't the square going to either rattle or be too tight? Seems like the square thread is going to be very difficult to get the fit. Nice jig, just thinking out loud.

low_48

Thanks Bruce, nice job!

Good eye! Hadn't noticed that on the double start. Either the set-up or a little runout.

Square threads have always fascinated me from the first time I saw the on a pen made by Dan Symonds. Dan now making them for Franklin-Christoph.

Model 19 Fountain Pen - Franklin-Christoph Fine Writing

The thing that makes them work (at least for me) is that the cutter is a few thousands thicker than .050 and that the pitch is 10 TPI. I've only made a few pieces with this, but definitely not too tight and doesn't seem to rattle. One advantage is less prone to chip.

walshjp17

Nice jig, Bruce. Perhaps you might want to collaborate with the WC guys to come up with a hardware kit similar to the one they put together last year for the Celtic Knot jig.

Top Bottom