Square bowls... bottom-up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chrisk

chrisk

Some years ago I've been given a try to squarebowl turning. My then square bowl was made very carefully, slowly advancing to the next step. The newbie approach is noticeable if one looks at the shape (especially downside) which is quite poor. Meanwhile I still don't know the wood specie for the guy who sell me the blank said it is oak burl. I'm sure it's not, so if one of you could help?...
My past production here (first 4 pics).

Meanwhile I stopped turning for a long period and recently came back to my favorite sport. Among pens and other things I've been making I had a musk burl square blank drying in my shop for more than 10 years. The drying process produced tremendous effects on the blank. My idea was to catch those effects by turning square but I didn't measure enough and had some unexpected results (see picture 7 from above). Finally the hollowing process was quite short for the foot was too thin and the blank threw out of the Oneway chuck with some more damage (last picture). I certainly don't give up. The foot is a 5 minute repair. As for the hollowing I'll avoid to do it on my lathe and rather carve. Once the hollowing is finished my idea is to carve some leaves throughout the whole rim in order to hide the splinter (photo 7). If somebody has another idea sharing is welcome.

Conclusion: sometimes the first try is better for self-confidence is not always a good counsellor...

Thanks in advance for looking and commenting.

Christos (from Brussels, Belgium).

Attachments

• IMG_0631b.jpg
    IMG_0631b.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0636b.jpg
    IMG_0636b.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0639b.jpg
    IMG_0639b.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0642b.jpg
    IMG_0642b.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0593b.jpg
    IMG_0593b.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0595b.jpg
    IMG_0595b.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0597b.jpg
    IMG_0597b.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0610b.jpg
    IMG_0610b.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Quite and interesting job. I like the Oak burl and the character of the wood. I say Oak Burl, but I am not sure!

Thanks for posting your results here for us all to see.

chrisk

Jim, John and Glenn,
Thank you for the encouraging comments.

Glenn, I wish you were right but... well actually not too much for self confidence (for me at last) is not my best friend as you can see with the second bowl...

Top Bottom