square bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

A fine turner showed how to turn a square bowl at our wood turners meeting today. This is my version of that bowl... not sure what the wood is, I found it in my wood pile, but it is 5" square and 1-3/4" high. Any identification of the wood would be appreciated.
What I am amazed at is how strong the bond of a couple of drops of CA is to a waste block, yet how easy it is to knock off when done.

Attachments

• IMG_1191 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1191 - Copy.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1192 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1192 - Copy.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I don't know what type of wood it is, other than beautiful! You did a great job on that!

bitshird

That is a sweet looking Bowl, to m\e it looks kind of like Goncaloalves , but I'm just guessing from the color and grain, and probably full of beans, but it certainly is a pretty bowl.

its_virgil

Nice bowl Glenn in both concept and execution. I've been using glue blocks for bowls lately...new lathe and no chuck for it. Now, I actually like glue blocks better than chucks. I may not even get a chuck for the new lathe. Keep up the great work.
The wood is madera roja; sounds exotic, doesn't it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

A fine turner showed how to turn a square bowl at our wood turners meeting today. This is my version of that bowl... not sure what the wood is, I found it in my wood pile, but it is 5" square and 1-3/4" high. Any identification of the wood would be appreciated.
What I am amazed at is how strong the bond of a couple of drops of CA is to a waste block, yet how easy it is to knock off when done.

Kalai

Hi Glenn, great looking bowl, I have not made a square bowl since the late 80's, it's fun, I gotta do that again, thanks for posting this it reminded me that there is more to bowls than a round shape, I did a triangle too you should try that next. I also glue waste blocks on most all small to medium turnings and I hold the waste block in the chuck, don't want to wast curly Koa. Aloha.

Chris

Top Bottom