Spring Picnic - 2009

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

Spring Picnic - 2009 - Sign-up Here!

This year, the picnic will be held on Saturday, May 30th, 2009. Please post here if you plan on attending, how many will be in your party, and which item(s) you'd like to bring. Please let me know if you are interested in doing any demos or have any requests for demos. Send me PM if you have any food allergies or special dietary needs for the picnic that you'd rather not post here.

Feel free to bring blanks, kits, etc. to trade and/or sell, and don't forget your latest works of art for show and tell! Children are welcome as long as there is a non penturning adult to accompany them and watch over them while we are in the shop talking, well, shop. Activities for kids around the age of 4 will be provided (playset, moon bounce, wading pool if warm enough), older kids may need to bring their own forms of entertainment if they aren't interested in talking shop. Weather permitting, all activities will be outdoors or in the shop. Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. Picnic will be held rain or shine. In the event of rain, we'll all get cozy in the shop and the significant others will get cozy in the kitchen.

Setup starts around 10 AM.
Guests are welcome to arrive anytime around 11 AM.
Grilling starts at Noon and this will be an alcohol free event.

Only turners who are members of IAP will be eligible for door prizes
. Please bring folding or portable chairs to sit on!

Item Sign-up, please bring enough to feed at least 8 people, some suggestions are below:
Chicken & hamburgers: Draken (1 turner, 2 others)
Buns & Condiments: greeneyedblackcat (1 turner, 3 others)
Brisket: GoodTurns (1 turner)
Soda (regular, diet, and caffeine free), cups: Jenny (1 turner - not IAP member)
Chips & Dip: DCBluesman (1 turner)
snack food/appetizer:
Macaroni salad: carverken (1 turner)
side dish:
Tomato/Cucumber type salad: BRobbins629 (1 turner, 1 other)
Homemade Potato Salad, plates: KN75 (1 turner - possible late arrival)
side dish: Keandkafu (1 turner)
Fruit: jthompson1995 (1 turner, 7 others)
Apple Cake, silverware: MDWine (1 turner)
Strawberry Shortcake & BBQ Sauce: Crashmph (1 turner, 1 other)
Cookies: JFeagans (1 turner, 2 others)
Apple Pie: fstepanski (1 turner)
Cheesecake: Russianwolf (1 turner)

Head count: 31 total, 15 of which are turners.

Directions from the North:
Take I95 South to the Virginia 143B Exit (Route 610). The exit has a "Y" near the end of it, take the right branch. Merge in with the main lanes of
traffic and get all the way over to the left. At the second light, turn left onto Mine Road. Use the left lane of Mine road, and follow it all the way
until you are forced to make a 90 degree left turn onto Austin Ridge Drive. Take the third left onto Tavern Road. We are the 6th house on the left.

Directions from the South:
Take I95 North to the Virginia 140 Exit (Route 630). At the light, turn left onto Courthouse Road (630). At the second light, turn right onto Austin
Ridge Drive. Take the 5th right onto Tavern Road. We are the 6th house on the left.

Address (for Google Maps or GPS users):
15 Tavern Rd
Stafford VA 22554

Over 70 pen blanks donated by Papaturner for our second place finish in the Chapter Collaboration Contest.

12 laser cut pen blanks donated by Ken of Kallenshaan Woods.

An assortment of worthless wood blanks for a door prize donated by jthompson1995.

One or two stick pen blanks donated by fstepanski.

Twelve pen blanks donated by Crashmph to be used in a name the wood contest.

Demos/Tutorials:
Bowl turning (requested)

Plan collaboration for 2010 bash (proposed)
Stick pen casting (proposed)
Spinning mold casting (proposed)

Last edited:

jthompson1995

I'll be there, total of 7-8 attending, 2 adults, the rest kids 2-12. We'll bring fruit, since we're bringing the kids that will eat most of it anyway. I'll bring an assortment of worthless wood blanks for a door prize.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Planning to be there. The usual 2 adults. Will bring side dish.

Suggested activity: Plan collaboration for 2010 bash!! Dibs on the clip.

Draken

Sounds good guys, updated the original post. Bruce, if you know what side dish you are bringing, I'll update that as well, so we don't get duplicates.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Dibs on the Apple Cake! :biggrin:

Using my usual feeble excuse :rolleyes:, the bachelor will bring an assortment of chips and dip. And I'll try to get there early enough so they are actually appetizers! :cool:

GoodTurns

I'm in, possibly with one other (not likely), I'll bring sodas...preferences?

Do you have off-street parking for Jason's bus? :biggrin:

Draken

I'm in, possibly with one other (not likely), I'll bring sodas...preferences?

Do you have off-street parking for Jason's bus? :biggrin:

Just need to cover the basics, regular soda, diet soda, and regular caffeine free soda. Up to you if you want to do cans or 2 liters, name brands or store brands. Might also want to get some bottled water, but again, up to you. :)

Plenty of on the street curb side parking no matter what you drive. :cool:

Draken

Jon (GoodTurns) has graciously opted to bring Brisket instead of soda due to the popularity of his ribs at last year's picnic. So my question to everyone is should I keep the hamburgers on the menu, change it to hotdogs, or reduce the main meats to chicken and brisket?

fstepanski

James, Please put me down, will be stag. I'll bring a desert plus a stick pen blank or two I should have more made by then. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Sticks j2.jpg
    Sticks j2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 268

Druid

Hey James,
I just saw the thread, sign me up for whatever I can help or provide (I'm flexible).

Look forward to it & thanks!

Draken

We're now up to 30 attendees, should be quite the gathering. I've already contacted Ken at Kallenshaan Woods, he is sending me 12 laser cut kits to be given away at the picnic. Since we have over 12 turners scheduled to attend, we'll hold a drawing to determine how gets them unless someone has a better suggestion.

Crashmph

I make some rather outstanding BBQ sauce.:wink: I can bring some for the brisket and chicken if you all want me too!

Also, count me in for a door prize donation. Not sure what as of yet so just call it a mystery prize until then.:confused: I am traveling for work at the moment until the end of April. I will discover something cool to donate by then. Maybe some dried out cactus from the Nevada desert? Or some of the thicker pieces of tumble weed brush? Desert Antelope horns if I can find any...

Draken

Crashmph if you want to bring BBQ sauce along with the Strawberry Shortcake, that would be great. And thank you for the door prize, I'll update the main post to reflect it.

Cheers

Crashmph

I am totally looking forward to this event!!! I will bring the cake and BBQ sauce.

That is sure to be a busy weekend for me as I have tickets to the race in Dover the next day.

I plan to bring a dozen blanks of various types for my door prize. I will number them and keep a key of what they all are so we can have a name that wood event.

See you all in a few weeks!!!

Russianwolf

I won't be able to sign up until closer to the event. It all depends on the weather basically.

If it's warm, it'll likely just be me (and a cheesecake or something else that you guys tell me you need). If it's cooler, it could be me and Lillian and a car load of pups like at the burl party.

Draken

Thanks for the update Crashmph, I've edited the first post to reflect it. Just let us know Mike. Would like to have a final head count about a week before so that I know how much chicken and burgers to buy.

Also, updated the first post to ask everyone to bring folding or portable chairs if you want to be able to sit down, I don't have enough seating for everyone.

Looking forward to the end of the month!

carverken

Disregard my e-mail. I will be flying solo. I will bring a side dish. Macaroni salad in all likelyhood. As always I look forward to it.

K

Crashmph

Chairs...and tables too.

I have a large stack of Rubbermaid type of plastic chairs I can bring. I have about 8 to 10 chairs. I have two tables to them also if you need me to bring them as well.

Draken

I have a large stack of Rubbermaid type of plastic chairs I can bring. I have about 8 to 10 chairs. I have two tables to them also if you need me to bring them as well.
That would be great Crashmph. I have two tables to setup the food on, but having extra tables and chairs would allow places for folks to sit and eat in a bit more comfort.

Thanks!

Draken

Made a few changes to the main post, mainly what time guests are welcome to arrive (11 AM, didn't have that there before) and a small clarification on door prize eligibility because this is an IAP centric activity.

Cheers!

Russianwolf

Okay, James. Lillian says we will be attending (I think she has plans for Lou regarding the burger comment ;) )

We'll bring a Cheesecake (not home-made unfortunately, but I don't have time to bake one between now and then)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tell Lillian I'll be wearing teflon, Mike If anyone wants puzzle kits, nibs or accessories, send me an email or a private message and I will deliver. That will at least save the postage! I am hoping the taps will arrive before the picnic, also!

Draken

So far there's been one cancellation. Anyone wishing to help out with the plates, silverware, napkins or cups please let me know.

See everyone this weekend!

GoodTurns

Got a sealed gallon of PR to unload if anyone coming to the picnic is interested (plus some other goodies y'all might be interested in!)

Top Bottom