Spring 2015 Meeting - April 26, 2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

Sorry we will miss the winter meeting. :frown: Just makes looking forward to the April meeting grow to a higher extent. :eek: If you want I will still want me to do the demo I am willing. :cowboy:
Ron
:usflag:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
One Month To Go ....

Only one month (OK, 6 weeks) before the meeting.

We need to:
  • lock down a location ...
  • identify topics for demonstrations ...
  • find volunteers to demonstrate ...
  • get the word out to boost our attendance ...

My place is always available ... but attendance is better on the east side. Anyone want to volunteer their house/shop???

Once we lock down a location, I'll make up a flier. I'll need a volunteer to print some copies out and drop them off at the Rocker and Woodcraft stores on the east side.

So ... lets start planning the meeting.

BTW, if anyone is planning on attending either the:
- MPG April 17 & 18, 2015 (Midwest Penturners Gathering - Champaign, IL)
- MAPG May 1 & 2, 2015 (Mid Atlantic Penturners Gathering - Glen, VA)
say something. You might find someone interested in sharing the drive & hotel. And note that the MPG is the week before our meeting, whoever goes will have lots to share at the meeting.

Last edited:

pesbes

Spring Meeting

Unfortunately, I will not be available as I will be taking a hands on class from Rudy Lopez. Rudy will be doing a demo on Saturday at the DAW for anyone who is interested.

scotirish

Spring meeting.

Well here I go again, I am currently in the hospital waiting to see if I will need another operation. As I read through the contents I realized that I also have signed up for the Rudy event. So I will not be able to attend the meeting. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ron

Leo S. Long

Spring meeting

I plan to be there also, if there is one (I hope!). But I will know better the closer we get to the date. As far as what I would like to see. Anything I am somewhat new to this and interested in it all.

Leo

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Meeeting is drawing ner ...

2 1/2 weeks to go.

We need to decide on a location in the next day or two. My place is always available ... this should be "Plan B". Are there any potential hosts from the east side?

Then there are the usual questions ... any volunteers for a demo?

Let's talk (type) it up.

Thanks .... see you all soon.

Jim

guylaizure

Will not be able to make the meeting.Detroit Area Woodturners is having Rudy Lopez do demos that weekend and Michigan Area Woodturners is having Michael Hosaluk doing demos the same weekend.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Hmmm....

We were careful to avoid schedule conflicts when we picked our meeting dates. Are the DAW and MAW meetings 'special' events? Did they change their schedule? Or did we do less than a good job in our scheduling?

Robert Taylor

As I said before, I am out this time because of an "Open House" or Family Fun Day as they are calling it this time at work. The good news is only 85 days from today until I am retired. If anything changes I will be there where ever it is.

Leo S. Long

Just thinking, With the two other clubs having special events and participation being low maybe the date could be changed to the first weekend in May and see how many could be there on that date.

Just a thought.

Leo

pinelumber

APRIL meeting!!

We went trough all that crap years ago we changed a meeting for someone for "another meeting" and have not seen him since!! NO!!! changing of dates!!! We all have something to do every day every minute. YOU decide what you want to do You change not us!! If you can't make it to church do you call them up and ask them to change their service time for you???

Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Leo S. Long

I plan to be there also, if we fine a place to have the meeting. And I agree with you, set a date and stick with it. The only reason I made the comment about the date change is when we talked about, and set the meeting dates the two other clubs did not have anything set on that date. And since there are a number of members of all three clubs I guess, and the local Michigan IAP I guess being the smallest, it takes the backseat. The other clubs meet once a month we only meet 4 times a year. I only belong to this club I don't want to see the meeting canceled because of lack of participation. If only 2 or 3 of us show up so be it, I would still like to get together someplace somewhere.

Leo

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
The schedule is the scheudle - but the place may not be the place.

Yep - I got a little sloppy in the scheduling a few years ago and it caused some consternation. We all agreed then, that the schedule, once established, needs to stand. Things (attendance) improved significantly after we decided to stick to the schedule.

We also decided to 'try' to not change locations (once established), although it is easier to change locations than dates. We aren't supposed to change location unless there is a last minute issue at the host home (like a broken water heater, etc.). However, since we haven't been very good at establishing locations ahead of time, we're being flexible.

There's still time for someone to volunteer their place … but if you don't see any notices to the contrary, plan on my house (6007 Justine, Belleville, MI 48111). Remember, the free tutorial starts at 1:30; the regular meeting starts at 2:00.

On that note:
It is time to volunteer to bring soft drinks (diet & industrial strength), sweat snacks, and salty snacks … oh yeah, cups & plastic good. I'll have some chili ready.

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Only a few days ...

I didn't do an exact count, but it looks like there will be a half a dozen of us at the meeting.

Add to that, I've got 1 (and possibily a 2nd) first timer coming.

If you haven't replied, don't let that stop you from attending. It's OK to show up without advanced notice.

Every - please bring a guest, a show and tell item, and a good story to tell.

See you all in a few days.

Jim

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another Ohio friend ... we'd be glad to have you join us ...

contact bettyt44720 ... he lives in North Canton ... maybe you guys could share a ride.

I have relatives in Brighton, so probably will do a combined visit if I can attend.

Hopeful, but work will dictate.

designer

This is trout opener weekend. I have a new fly rod I built that is whining to get wet. It has kept me up late at night for the last month listening to it. The cat wants to play with the flies I tie. Have you ever tried to tie a fly with a cat around with the feathers, hair and other objects? Hint: You cannot get a table high enough to keep the cat away.

The only way to resolve this predicament that I am in is to go fishing instead of attending unfortunately. I will bring some reel seats I made and some inlaid grips I have made to the next meeting though.

ps: Brushing the cat and dog is a good thing. The hair works pretty well when tying fly's. Waste not, want not.

Robert Taylor

As much as I had planned to get to this meeting, I regret that I am NOT going to be there. Miss Betty is quite under the weather with allergies and does not feel up to the trip. Now the real problem, what to do with more cookies than I should eat?

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Betty - Hope you are feeling better soon. We missed you at the meeting.

Bob - Oh yah, we missed you too!

As much as I had planned to get to this meeting, I regret that I am NOT going to be there. Miss Betty is quite under the weather with allergies and does not feel up to the trip. Now the real problem, what to do with more cookies than I should eat?

pinelumber

April meeting

Jim As usual you do a great job thanks for holding the meeting!! If I am ok and have the timec before the next meeting I'll do a segmenting on a bowl . I'll let you know in dvance. Hey id Betty sends the cookies north When do we get our share???

Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Dennis, Leo, Mark, Steve,

Thanks for your attendance. Although the headcount was light, I thought the time was well spent. I enjoyed every minute of our conversation.

BTW, the pile of wood in the middle of the room, the one with two birch logs on top ... the rest of the stack is cotton wood ... it took a couple of days, but I finally remembered which tree I cut down.

All - Please see the thread for the next meeting for the ideas we discussed for future meetings.

Talk/type to you more in that thread.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom