Spring 2014 PITH Rules & Signups!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

As with all IAP activities, the IAP Activity Rules apply to this PITH.

This is a PITH. PITH stands for Pen In The Hat. If we could ever be so lucky to find ourselves in one big room we could have a real PITH. Everyone would put one of their pens into a hat. The hat would be passed among us. Each of us would draw a pen out of the hat to keep as our own. Since we can't all get together in one place we do the next best thing. We take signups.

Signups for the Spring, 2014 PITH begin now, in this thread. The signups will remain open until until Monday, May 5 , 2014, at which time I will post here that signups are closed. Once the signups are closed, I will not be able to add anyone to the event, but I will be willing to hold anyone who missed it as a potential fill in for the unlikely and unfortunate instance that someone drops out during the event. Pairings will be posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2014. When I post the listing I will post instructions on initiating contact between the pairings, and I would ask that everyone be in contact by MAY 12th at the absolute latest. Please be sure to check into the site as soon as you can after the 6th to start things rolling.

The PITH chairperson assigns each participant a number. When the signups close the PITH chairperson uses RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service and randomizes the list of numbers 5 times. After the fifth time the list is copied into a spreadsheet. The PITH chairperson then repeats the process a second time and creates a second list. The second list is copied into the spreadsheet next to the first list. The lists of numbers are then converted into lists of names based on the previous assignment of numbers to names. The results will then be published in a thread. Participants will find their name in the left hand list and make and send a pen to the person opposite them in the right hand list.

The theme for this PITH will be FOG (Found-On-Ground), materials. Check your firewood pile, watch the side of the road as you drive to work, go for a walk in the woods and pick up a stick, try and use something that would not have been considered a "pen blank". For those of you interested in not working with wood, look around your house for things you may not have thought of making a pen from and see what you can do. Old tires, that flat football that's been around for years, broken tools, roofing shingles, be creative and open minded!!! I would like to see the VAST MAJORITY of the materials used meet these guidelines, so if you do a segmented blank, keep in mind the materials you use for the segmenting and keep them to the theme whenever possible. For those of you who do your own casting, that's fine also, but remember that your resins, dyes, etc. were purchased for pen use, so their use should be minimized as much as possible so the FOG material is the highlight.

The "Free-ToMe" option: if you can't work with the above guidelines, you can use standard materials that were given to you by someone else (i.e. vendor freebies, giveaways from chapter meetings, etc).

There is no restriction on component sets, and full-on custom pens are fine also (I wanna see someone cut threads on an old tire…)

I will also start a thread for "BEFORE" photos of your materials. I would LOVE to see what people are starting with, and it will be interesting to compare the before photos with the pen that is received.

If you sign up for this swap you are obligating yourself to complete it. We understand that things happen and something could come up that would prohibit you from completing a pen for this swap. If that should happen please immediately inform your swap partner, the event coordinator (toddlajoie) and the Activities Manager (mbroberg). The sooner you let us know the easier it is to find someone to take your place.

Participants will have until the end of the month (May 31, 2014) to make and send a pen to their partner. All pens should be IN THE MAIL by May 31st if at all possible. If you cannot get your pen in the mail by the 31st. PLEASE be in contact with your PITH Partner to let them know that there will be a delay.

There is a possibility that you will need to ship the pen you make internationally. Be aware that some countries have custom laws that prohibit wood from being shipped into their country. Please take this into consideration if you get paired with someone from another country. If you absolutely can't ship overseas please let me know.

The main objectives of this PITH are to HAVE FUN and to FOSTER FRIENDSHIPS among members. The IAP is made up of individuals of varying levels of skills, abilities, and resources. There have been instances in the past where some members who participated in a swap felt that the pen they received was not equal to the pen they provided. If the possibility of receiving a pen from someone who does not possess the same level of skill, ability, or resources as you will bother you, please do not sign up. We do ask you make your best effort at this pen, that doesn't mean it has to be your GREATEST EVER pen, but that you make your best effort.

Post any questions you have here so that the answer can be viewed by all.

Please post in this thread to sign up for this event with the following information:

1. Your IAP Screen Name
2. The country you are in (where your partner will need to ship to)
3. (optional)If you cannot ship to another country.

Lastly I want to thank Mike Broberg for letting me play Chairman for this event. I'm hoping everyone has a fun time, gets to know each other, and grows a little bit!!!

Last edited:

SteveG

(caution: read on at your own risk)

I composed a little poem to serve as my signup. You may not like it, because it sucks. Also, I never liked the word "poem" anyhow. :eek:

Sooo...

Oh, How I Want To PITH

In a stupio yet PITHY way (Sorry Bill O'Reilly)
Oh let me please just say
I yearn to turn a special pen
And make a brand new frien :tongue:

d
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WHSKYrvr1

I'll play....Sign me up. I got lots of stuff on the ground from the recent tornados...

Sweet Home Alabama USA.

I'll ship anywhere.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom