Spring 2012 Greater Houston meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which date would you attend the next Greater Houiston Area meeting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
mson has offered to host the next meeting at his place in Baytown and make homemade gumbo for us. The date's he is proposing are April 28 or May 19.
Please indicate your preference in the poll above.

dplloyd

Just posting this for FYI...........

The GCWA is having their Spring Retreat on May 19 & 20 in Conroe.

I'll be there on that weekend.

mson

Mannie, If April 28 is too soon and may 29 is not good, I'm good with May 26th. Just a lil warmer, but doable.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mannie, If April 28 is too soon and may 29 is not good, I'm good with May 26th. Just a lil warmer, but doable.
Whatever works best for you and the most members.
I can't make it April 28 because I have a show at my own church and I'm helping coordinate the show for other vendors.
As for May 19, my mistake. I will not be able to make that date either. I'll be out of town celebrating my 36th wedding anniversary.
May 26 is the Saturday before Memorial day. That wold be OK but I don't know about others.

mson

May 26th is looking good,unless Memorial Day weekend is a pain.

My garage is air conditioned as needed. Ramon can set up on the patio for ventilation and all is good.

It all works out.

Happy 36th anniversary Mannie !!

Justturnin

As of right now May26 is good for me as well. Glad it will not be this sat because I will be in Galveston.

Anyone interested in doing a PITH?

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looks like we're set for the 26th.
Martin, will you post the meeting time that suits you best?
Everyone else, please post any demos you would like to see or present yourself.

Justturnin

I would like to see an Alumilite Demo. If we need a PP I can bring mine but I just started using it and I cant get my swirls right.

mson

May 26th at 9715 El Chaco St. Baytown

Google Maps: 9715 El Chaco Drive, Baytown, TX - Google Maps
Mapquest: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Approximately 2 miles south of I 10 on Hwy 146 there is a Chevron convenience store. The Chevron is on the Northwest corner of the intersection of El Chaco and Hwy 146. Turn west onto El Chaco and drive approximately 3/4 of a mile, the house will be on your right.

10 am is a good gathering time with a noon meal of chicken and sausage gumbo, potatoe salad and peach dump cake with sweet tea or coke zero.

We usually gather till around 2 or 3.

Dress comfortable as this is the summer season. I'll have bottle water also.

To new comers : Look forward to a very low keyed, informal, friendly group of guys that love to share their hobby.

Looking forward to May 26th. Y'all come hungry.

stealth555

Need to see

I may or may not make it. It all depends on work. If I have to work that day, then I won't make it. I should know in the next couple of days.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Less than two weeks til the big day. Please post if you will be attending so Martin will have an idea about how many will be attending so he will kn ow how much gumbo to have.

rsjimenez

I will be there with my wife.

We will be doing a demo in making Polyester Resin Blanks.

Last edited:

BRENDA WITTE

This is a technical question. I made a pen out of amboyna a few months ago. I noticed a few days ago, that there is a thin, cloudy, white milky looking ring around it. It has a CA glue finish on it. Any ideas what could have caused this? Or, how to prevent it from happening again? This ring is thin, but quite noticable. I cant sell it. I have only been using CA for about a year now. I havent had this problem before. I need help from you much more expieirenced pen turners. Thanks. Brenda Witte

Justturnin

This is a technical question. I made a pen out of amboyna a few months ago. I noticed a few days ago, that there is a thin, cloudy, white milky looking ring around it. It has a CA glue finish on it. Any ideas what could have caused this? Or, how to prevent it from happening again? This ring is thin, but quite noticable. I cant sell it. I have only been using CA for about a year now. I havent had this problem before. I need help from you much more expieirenced pen turners. Thanks. Brenda Witte

Hey Brenda,
I would post this in the Penturning or Finishing Forum. You will likely get more responses there.

mson

One week till the Spring Greater Houston Gathering May 26th

Here is the list of attendees so far :

vanngo5d - Don
Bayquest - Roland
hydiamond - Harry
wgvan - Bill + wife
Heartofapen - Chris
Brenda Witte - Brenda ?
Justturnin - Chris
Monty - Mannie
Wild Things - Barry
Stealth555 - Steve
rsjimenez - Ranom + wife
dployd - Pat
JeffT - Jeff

A reminder : This gathering starts around 10am, loooooosly starts around 10am.
If you running late that's OK, come on and show up. I you cn't make it till noon, that's OK too !!

A tradition : Usually every one comes with 2 or more blanks or some kind of lil giveaway. Near the end, we will draw numbers out of a hat and take a pick of the prizes on the table.

Mannie will have his table set of of CA and such and maybe talk about making a carbide lathe tool.

Ramon will demonstrate acrylic casting.

Izapen - Clyde hopefully will be there to demo cactus juice set up.

Anyone else is welcome to share or demo their experiences, jigs, etc.

If I missed anyone on the show up list, speak up and show up. Just show up and join in the fun.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
One week till the Spring Greater Houston Gathering May 26th

Here is the list of attendees so far :

vanngo5d - Don
Bayquest - Roland
hydiamond - Harry
wgvan - Bill + wife
Heartofapen - Chris
Brenda Witte - Brenda ?
Justturnin - Chris
Monty - Mannie
Wild Things - Barry
Stealth555 - Steve
rsjimenez - Ranom + wife
dployd - Pat
JeffT - Jeff

A reminder : This gathering starts around 10am, loooooosly starts around 10am.
If you running late that's OK, come on and show up. I you cn't make it till noon, that's OK too !!

A tradition : Usually every one comes with 2 or more blanks or some kind of lil giveaway. Near the end, we will draw numbers out of a hat and take a pick of the prizes on the table.

Mannie will have his table set of of CA and such and maybe talk about making a carbide lathe tool.

Ramon will demonstrate acrylic casting.

Izapen - Clyde hopefully will be there to demo cactus juice set up.

Anyone else is welcome to share or demo their experiences, jigs, etc.

If I missed anyone on the show up list, speak up and show up. Just show up and join in the fun.
Don't know if Clyde will be there or not. He hasn't been on IAP since late December. I can do a Cactus Juice demo if someone has an extra toaster oven they can bring. Mine finally broke a few months ago and I've upgraded to a used (free) full sized electric kitchen oven someone was throwing out. It's a little too big to bring.

Top Bottom