Spiral pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Here is the pen I made for the Bash kitless contest (bocoa wood, right), and two leftover entries, one made of boxwood - left, it was actually a draft for the bocoa pen - and an African blackwood pen. All were made with a Sorby spiraling tool.
C&c welcome!
2022.JPG

The pen rest in bocoa is also a cartridge container:
IMG_2013.JPG

I find the assembly of the Damascus clip and the spiraled wood looks interesting:
IMG_2101.JPG

Enjoy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

You are making the process for making these look so effortless. All that with a bit of French touch, that cartridge container is so cute! Am I thinking correctly that you put the thread on the piece first then clean the threads at the extremities?
So that leaves me one year until the next BASH to get into the clip-making business... I'll try my best, but I can tell it's not going to be easy to compete! Thank you for sharing!

TDahl

All three pens turned out great. I really liked your entry. It got my vote! How did you secure the clips to the caps? Did you use a rotary tool to cut the slot?

Pierre---

Thanks everyone!

Am I thinking correctly that you put the thread on the piece first then clean the threads at the extremities?
Nope, I first shaped the piece, started the spirals on the cylindrical part , and then pushed the tool up to the round end.
Oh, just in case, Mike from Silver pen parts (member @mredburn) makes very nice clips with rings or tab for kitless...
How did you secure the clips to the caps? Did you use a rotary tool to cut the slot?
For the Damascus clip, I made it with an indented tab. I cut the cap slot with a Dremel rotary tool monted a Oneway Drill Wizard to be regular (not sure it is better than freehand, but it happens I have one), adjusted it with micro files and a homemade chisel, stuffed the hole with plenty of epoxy glue while pushing a piece of wood to squeeze the tap in the cap bottom.
For the kit clips, it is nearly the same, except I cut a third of the the ring until it goes into the hole, a method used by the late Russ Fairfield who called it "invisible clip".

Joebobber

You did those with a spiraling tool?! I can barely make a crosshatch and you did that? Wow that is awesome! I bet you xan make that thing stand up and bark if you wanted to!

Pierre---

Joe, if you use very hard wood and take time to learn how to handle it (Sorby made two great YT videos), you can make a lot. I must admit I am never 100% sure to get what I want, but the tool can make different things, not only spiraling. I needed around 30 seconds to make this little flower with sun and spiral on a piece of bone:
IMG_1765.JPG

its_virgil

Great pens Pierre! I really like the spiraling and I'm amazed you can do that with the Sorby Spiraling Tool. And that 30 second design on the piece of bone...wow!

I've been thinking about how I can use my Pen Wizard to make an octagon and rope twist kitless pen. I think I'm close to having a plan. Thanks for sharing your talent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Wow, how do you get that spiraling?
He mentioned he uses the Sorby Spiraling Tool. If you check utube videos you will see how it is done. It takes some practice for sure. I have one and played a little with it but it takes time to master as evident by the examples here. Also using the right woods will help. Many different cutters are available and patterns from each can be achieved. I always liked the cross hatched pattern over the spiral. That is the one that will get alot of attention and questions how it is done. Many people use this tool for spin tops. That was the reason I got it. But again my efforts were not worthy. Maybe someday if I find the time I will pursue. One thing it did was make me buy another tool the oneway drill wizard which will make using this easier. But that did not fit my banjo so I abandoned the idea. But that opened a whole other door when I got into routing on my lathe and built a platform that I still use today for segmenting work. It is amazing the paths we take just from a simple tool and idea. Love the work and the pen examples.

Joebobber

Joe, if you use very hard wood and take time to learn how to handle it (Sorby made two great YT videos), you can make a lot. I must admit I am never 100% sure to get what I want, but the tool can make different things, not only spiraling. I needed around 30 seconds to make this little flower with sun and spiral on a piece of bone:
View attachment 329490
Yeah i watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I only have the mini guy, which doesn't use bushings in the cutter. Instead it uses a screw and it binds up some. It definitely requires some practice

Pierre---

I've been thinking about how I can use my Pen Wizard to make an octagon and rope twist kitless pen. I think I'm close to having a plan.
Show it when it is made Don, I wonder how it would look like!
But, you know, people do not really need a Pen Wizard... šŸ¤£
I always liked the cross hatched pattern over the spiral. That is the one that will get a lot of attention and questions how it is done.
Yes, a lovely pattern isn't it:
100_6302 bis comp.jpg

Yeah i watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I only have the mini guy, which doesn't use bushings in the cutter. Instead it uses a screw and it binds up some. It definitely requires some practice
Everything I made was done with the mini tool. But you are right, I had to change the screw once, it was worn out because of the absence of ball bearing.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Show it when it is made Don, I wonder how it would look like!
But, you know, people do not really need a Pen Wizard... šŸ¤£

Yes, a lovely pattern isn't it:
View attachment 329498

Everything I made was done with the mini tool. But you are right, I had to change the screw once, it was worn out because of the absence of ball bearing.
Love the crosshatch look.

TDahl

Thanks everyone!

Nope, I first shaped the piece, started the spirals on the cylindrical part , and then pushed the tool up to the round end.
Oh, just in case, Mike from Silver pen parts (member @mredburn) makes very nice clips with rings or tab for kitless...

For the Damascus clip, I made it with an indented tab. I cut the cap slot with a Dremel rotary tool monted a Oneway Drill Wizard to be regular (not sure it is better than freehand, but it happens I have one), adjusted it with micro files and a homemade chisel, stuffed the hole with plenty of epoxy glue while pushing a piece of wood to squeeze the tap in the cap bottom.
For the kit clips, it is nearly the same, except I cut a third of the the ring until it goes into the hole, a method used by the late Russ Fairfield who called it "invisible clip".
I was wondering if you used either of those methods. Great job again. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to your future posts.

Pierre---

Thanks Mike! On fountain pens I use some danish oil, I am always afraid of ink stains. Oil do not totally avoid them, but it helps.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You are obviously an inspiration to us, Pierre. I am glad you are both a member and willing to share with us.
I couldn't agree more. It is superb to see other's work and also to see hints on how to share their techniques - wonderful collaboration possibilities.

Top Bottom