Spindle roughing or roughing spindle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

I saw this during a Google search and now my brain hurts.

"What is the difference between a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge?
Assuming you are talking about roughing spindles; a spindle roughing gouge has a different flute shape and is ground differently than a big spindle gouge. It is certainly possible to rough spindles with a big spindle gouge but I find a spindle roughing gouge to be more efficient."

Whoa! :)

Although I also use a carbide tool for roughing, I really like my original tool- I'll call it a roughing gouge. (3/4") It's a cheap beginners tool and has served me well in that it introduced me to this hobby and now I'm hooked. Now it's time to step up to a good HSS gouge. All I want to know is, for pen turning, isn't the roughing gouge more common than a spindle gouge? What can a spindle gouge do in pen turning that a roughing gouge can't do?

carlmorrell

This thread might start the carbide -vs- traditional debate.

I used to brag, I could make a pen using a screwdriver. Then I realized I was full of crap, yeah it sort of worked but it made it a lot more difficult (re my sharpening). I use a 9/16 spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. Whatever, it's been sharpened so many times, who knows what a turning expert would call the profile. I tried MANY ways to sharpen, used a benchtop belt sander for years, and only occasionally did I do a good job. FINALLY decided to get the Wolverine and vari-grind. First time I used the gouge on some alumilite, and the ribbon was more than 1/8" wide! Can not emphasize enough to get a good sharpening system.

I like to roll my gouge on the side, and get a shearing action with it. Some profiles make that difficult. I doubt you could do that with a bowl roughing gouge (for example).

Dale Lynch

A small spindle gouge can be used to create small beads and coves and delicate finials,where as a roughing gouge can not.The roughing gouge can do straight barrels easier because of the straight wing on it side.

Mortalis

Pictures are worth thousands of words.
Look at a spindle roughing gouge held next to a spindle gouge and the difference will be quite obvious
A bowl gouge will exasperate the whole discussion.

Top Bottom