Spindle Roughing Gouge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

@Cwalker935 posted a non-sanded pen in Show Off Your Pens yesterday, very nice. In that discussion, @RichAldrich commented that the spindle roughing gouge (SRG) is for roughing…certainly true. In the past, my SRG work hasn't even looked as good as rough, so I've been working on it. Staying sharp and good focus has helped really reduce my roughing tear out which has made life much easier when I move on to the spindle or detail gouge.

Rich's comment challenged me to see how smooth I could get with the SRG. Grabbed a practice scrap, 1 1/2" x 5" construction lumber, and made it round. Put a fresh edge on (120 grit belt) and dropped the handle for a sheer scrape presentation. Pics are raw, no sanding, and only my SRG touched the blank. And…honestly…it was surprisingly quick. Tried to show the angle used in one pic, can maybe tell more by the track of the shavings.

I really appreciate the motivation to try that. Will not likely ever do it for turning a piece, but i do think I'll improve my roughing.
Earl
1B2A8ED3-A8DA-422F-A561-70BFB7BBA42B.jpeg

02CC65BD-8C68-48A3-99B7-F294C5356E3E.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

You can use the flat wings of the gouge as a skew . sometimes the extra weight of the roughing gouge helps eliminate any ribbing by dampening the vibration generated

greenacres2

Yep, provides a lot of edge to use before honing. More versatile tool than I'd given it credit for. Was going to do the exercise with my big Crown, but didn't feel like walking out to the garage shop!
Earl

jrista

I love using my roughing gouge for turning wood pens. Its the only tool I use. I have a Carter & Son 1", so its the M42 steel, and it holds a real sharp edge for a long time. I guess I use it somewhat in a "sheer cutting" position as well...a bit off the center, with the wing rising up the blank. I am turning a segmented holly, bloodwood (I think), orange osage & yellowheart segmented blank right now. I'll see if I can snap a pic and share it.

jrista

Here we go:

Roughing Gouge Turned Pen Blank-1.jpg

Roughing gouge only. The three colored woods are very smooth. The holly is a different kind of wood, if you've ever turned it you'd understand, but it doesn't seem to matter how I turn holly, its just a spongier, softer wood. The slight sheer cut with the roughing gouge gives me the best cuts with holly.

I often use the spindle gauge to turn my pepper mills.. I don't have an unfinished mills to show, but after smoothing the bodies with the gouge, little sanding is needed to make them smooth. I mostly use either a 5/8" bowl gouge or one of the two roughing gouges I have.

Top Bottom