Spicy Salt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

I am addicted to spicy food, hot sauce, hot wings, hot salt. I few months ago I ran across some Tabasco salt. The amount of salt per spice was quite high, like I felt my heart starting to hurt high, just to get some heat. I ran across some ground Aleppo peppers and asked my wife if she could do the Tabasco salt but with a lot less salt. She did just that and added a few extra touches and knocked it out of the park! And then, on a whim, she decided she could do better and created a whole lot of different spicy finishing salts. She even used those salts to make hot sauces.

I brought some to work and everyone seemed to really enjoy them. With that she decided she wanted to see if she could sell them and started her own Kickstarter that was successfully funded a bit ago. She recently got her department of Agriculture approval to be able to sell them legally, online, in person, at fairs and so on. The hot sauces she made are a different ball game and require more time and effort to get approvals than she has time for while taking care of our 3 kiddos.

I would be remiss if I didn't at least let it be known how to get a hold of these salts. She calls them finishing salts but I'm pretty sure you can use them at any point while cooking.

Anyways, she has her website up and running. It's amandacreated

Most everything on there is hers. It's fairly bare bones. She wanted to get the salts up and available but she will eventually have it be for everything she does, knitting, sewing, painting, and what not. There's an e-commerce section that really has nothing to do with her just a place for some others to offer things for sale. And there's my little pen section. Eventually that will be more robust but I don't want to take away from her stuff so for a while I only plan on having as much on there as I do now (pen portion is the unimportant part and are mostly pens I did when I was learning but still think are acceptable).

Anyways, if you like hot things stop on by and take a look. It's her baby and I'm proud of her for it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shadetree_1

Kudos to you and you beautiful wife, I like her site and will try her goodies because " some like it hot" and I am one, I was raised by the Hernandez's in Mayer AZ and this gringo grew up eating it hot! She will sure get some of my money!

Great idea, forwarded to...

Ty,

Sounds interesting. I can't handle the hot stuff anymore.

I've forwarded the web site to my son who is a development chef in the midwest. That would be new uses for foods and food products, bringing prouducts to market.

I asked him to bookmark things to keep for future reference.

From what he tells me they get some unusual requests to accomplish certain customer requirements. Hopefully he can find a use for one or more of your wife's products.

Charlie

Brooks803

Yall need to bring some over this weekend! Mild as possible though (for me and Shea). Shea can't do spicy but I like a good kick every now and then. My Dad loves the hot sauce Tyson brought by. With his taste buds almost non existent he can actually taste his food by using it now.

ashaw

Love the hot stuff. I am growing Scotch Bonnet right now. Ate one without knowing the pepper. Three days my mouth was on fire.

ChrisN

I love hot sauce! A guy where I work grows the world's second hottest pepper, Ghost peppers, and he makes hot sauce out of that. Believe me, you can spread about a 1/16 teaspoon of that stuff on a hot dog, and it will be a HOT HOT hot dog from one end to the other. He claims it never spoils because nothing will grow in it, it's so hot; and I nearly believe that.

Brooks803

I love hot sauce! A guy where I work grows the world's second hottest pepper, Ghost peppers, and he makes hot sauce out of that. Believe me, you can spread about a 1/16 teaspoon of that stuff on a hot dog, and it will be a HOT HOT hot dog from one end to the other. He claims it never spoils because nothing will grow in it, it's so hot; and I nearly believe that.

Now are you referring to the hot dog or the human factor:eat: :eek::crying::at-wits-end::ghost:

ChrisN

Now are you referring to the hot dog or the human factor:eat: :eek::crying::at-wits-end::ghost:

Both!:eek::tongue::biggrin: Ghost pepper is seriously hot, but it was not too long ago overturned as the world's hottest pepper. Would you believe there is an institute dedicated to the research of hot peppers? http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org

ashaw

When I had chemo 12 years ago one of the side effects is reduced taste buds. I spice things up to taste the food otherwise it all taste the same.

OOPS

I really like the design of the website. It has a homey, comfortable feel. I can see where it would bring people in to stay and browse. Now you just have to get people to the site.

Some of those products look intriguing. I will send the web address to my friends.

The salts look great! Since cooking is how I earn keep I always appreciate someone trying to get as much flavor into a dish as possible. I would definitely use them as finishing salts. If you add them during cooking you will lose the intricacies of the exotic salts. I personally love the Hawaiian red salt. Grind it with a little rosemary, garlic, and green peppercorns in a dedicated spice grinder you get an awesome popcorn salt that also goes great with a glass of good red wine.

Good luck to you and your wife with your new venture!!!

Keith

jyreene

Thanks for look all. I'm proud of her and this accomplishment.

I'll definitely be bringing some Saturday Jonathon. And I'll ensure I have a healthy supply on me when ever I come up. Especially for the next time we can hang out with Jason.

I hope someday she can go through the FDA portion, or whatever it is, to get the hot sauces allowed for sale because I'm pretty sure I'd put it on my cereal.

The Ghost Pepper salt she has is good and deceiving. First bite is "Wow, that's tasty. Kind of hot but tasty." The second bite it "That's still really really tast3!@347hfdsj WHY GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US!" ANd it doesn't get better because it's still tasty and I didn't stop.

Which brings me back to an earlier post that does make it hot from one end to the other.

jyreene

Thank you all for checking her site out. She has had quite a few visitors from here and is very pleased. You all are awesome.

Top Bottom