Spent casings pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

This is just the second pen that I made with some casings that were given to me. Comments welcome. IMG_2371.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Out of curiosity what did you use to glue the tubes in the casings with? I like using epoxy. And a quick tip to help keep the tubes centered. I took some extra nibs I had and chucked them up in a drill. Then I sanded the press in end with sandpaper until the tube would just slide on and off. Then I'd put the glue on each end of the tube, however much would actually glue to the casing, and tape the nib to the casing until the glue was set. That way it would be centered when the pen was actually assembled

Alan Morrison

Kenny, I also used two part epoxy, though I wrapped a wee bit of masking tape around the tube ends before glueing. It was not the most accurate method. ( I just read your method above and I will try that the next time )

Woodchipper

Nice. Just noticed after a second look that both sections are a cartridge. What caliber? Members, is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Definitely interested as I feel that is a market around here.

jttheclockman

This brings back memories when they first hit the scene here. We use to use shrink tubing to keep them centered and soldered the tubes in. We also used real bullets. I would always powdercoat mine to keep brass from tarnishing. It would turn the copper bullets a shade dark but I liked it. Stopped making them awhile ago. Think I still have a few left. Use to make the bullet keychains as well. Nice job.pensandkeychains.jpg

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice. Just noticed after a second look that both sections are a cartridge. What caliber? Members, is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Definitely interested as I feel that is a market around here.
The Bushings & Tubes app has a collection of tutorials on making bullet cartridge pens (also available in the Library). The app also has instructions for all the bullet cartridge kits that Little River Crafts used to sell.

Alan Morrison

This brings back memories when they first hit the scene here. We use to use shrink tubing to keep them centered and soldered the tubes in. We also used real bullets. I would always powdercoat mine to keep brass from tarnishing. It would turn the copper bullets a shade dark but I liked it. Stopped making them awhile
These pens are and have been popular in England and the States for a long time, but given the situation in Northern Ireland possession of bullets spent or otherwise has been pretty grave. There would still be a problem getting spent cartridges through the post. Therefore they are a novelty to us.
John, I like the display in your photograph, plenty of variety there. Real bullets would be a step too far here, but I will look into powder coating.

Alan

jttheclockman

Thanks Allen. Have to say I have stopped making these for a various of reasons and one was because of today's society and the scrutiny and checks at airports and schools and many other places. When I was doing many craft shows I heard stories of people being stopped and not allowed to carry on planes and also was told by a parent that bought one from me the previous year, that the school would not allow it. Now I am not making any judgement or protesting any of these type pens but thought I would just stop making. Many people make the kits that resemble these and then there are many other kits such as tank kits and grenade kits that mimic harm and how well they play I have no idea. Whoever did the first one or how they came about sure did start a trend in kits that is still expanding. Many hunters seem to like them.

Ray-CA

Woodchipper

Let's look at definitions here. A bullet is a projectile that is fired from a firearm, travels down the barrel and exits at the muzzle. I cringe when people talk about a criminal having bullets. Bullets are only one component of a loaded cartridge which is used in a rifle or handgun. By themselves, bullets are just another object. The New York Times had an editorial about the AR style rifles and put a photo of shotgun shells in the article. Duh!
Can't figure how an empty cartridge would cause any problem with security. My observation of airport security is there is no training on any kind of weapon or consistency of standards from one airport to another. Anyone who served in certain groups on the military can do damage with bare hands or common objects. Read where airport security took the knitting needles from an elderly lady. Guess she looked like a terrorist.

Woodchipper

Let's look at a definition here: a bullet is a projectile that is fired in a rifle or handgun, travels down the barrel and exits at the muzzle. I cringe when I see a report of a criminal have bullets. A bullet is one component of a loaded cartridge which consists of the cartridge case, primer, powder and bullet. Bullets by themselves are just another animate object. The New York Times ran an editorial about the popular AR rifles and showed a photo of shotgun shells1 Duh!
They won't let a cartridge pen in a school but allow baseball bats, ballpoint pens or #2 pencils? Hello? My observation of airport security is of a low opinion. I traveled to CA from GA. I had a wood box with a gas infra red burner in it. The security guy took the tubular venturi and said it could be used as a weapon. He didn't take into consideration that would entail removing about a dozen screws. Then he picked up on the word "gas" like the burner had gas in it. Did anyone buy a gas or electric range that came with those? Read where security took knitting needles from an elderly lady. guess she looked like a dangerous person?

Top Bottom