Special spalted maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DB in VT

DB in VT

I was given a piece of wood by a good friend. He said the tree it came from was a special tree. Here is his story regarding the tree:

The tree was the County Record Sugar Maple, Belknap County NH. It proudly sat in front of a house down the road from me for over 200 years. Time was taking its toll, and despite surviving a few repairs, it finally got to a point where it had becoming a danger. The trunk was nearly 5 feet in diameter when it was taken down, the crown spanned some 50 feet, it yielded several cords of wood.

I will present at least one of those pens to the owner of the tree, who graciously allowed me to pick through the cut and split pieces and take whatever I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4657.JPG
    IMG_4657.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4659.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 157

Dehn0045

Great pen and story. The idea of getting turning stock from firewood is quite the up-cycle. When I was a kid in Minnesota we burned wood for heating our house. At the time I had no clue about the value of wood or turning stock. We mostly cut dead white oak, I think it was killed by some kind of borer as the wood had tons of worm holes and was basically useless. But there was collateral damage in our cutting and I'm sure we burned millions of dollars in awseome turning blanks :crying: :crying: :crying:

Top Bottom